Cloth Diapering

Remind me about dealing with NB poop

I am all prepped and ready for LO to start CD'ing but DH keeps having a minor brain freeze when he thinks about the poop and dealing with CD's.

I know I can just put it in the washer if EBF poop but from talking to DH, maybe a liner at all times that we can throw away that will catch most of it will work best for him.

Will this work? Any tricks and traps or even advice you can share on this? I am not banking down on CD'ing so I need to make this work so he buys into the whole process.

Also, just to confirm, one cold pre-washa and rinse and then one hot wash to get them clean? I plan to use GMD pre-folds, workhorses and Kawaii P&N in NB stage.

Thanks!

Multiple ectopics, 2 failed IVF's
IVF #1: Did not get to ET, embies all failed PGD (major chromosomal defects)
IVF #2: We have 2 chromosomally perfect embies as a result of PGD (Boy/Girl) 1 failed the thaw (Girl) Transferred 1, yet ended as a c/p
Thought it was the end of our TTC Journey 6/20/2012
SHOCK BFP 9/28/2012: IT'S A BOY! and everything is normal !!!!!!

Little A born 38w 2d on 05/23/13 and is a true miracle for this IF Vet!

Re: Remind me about dealing with NB poop

• IMHO, using a liner during the NB phase would just be creating more unnecessary work, but if it makes your DH feel better about it, why not.

I only used liners during the peanut butter poo stage, and then after I while I just felt like it was silly to worry about it, especially since I ended up throwing out so many liners that were peed on but not pooped on. I think some people rinse and re-use, but that's not me.

• EBF poop is so runny, I can't see a liner being effective. I just washed it all. If he wants to try to use them, let him do it when he changes diapers. When he's not looking, do what you want.

Cold rinse, hot wash, 2 cold rinses is the "standard" wash routine. 

• Loading the player...
  • imagetokenhoser:

EBF poop is so runny, I can't see a liner being effective. I just washed it all. If he wants to try to use them, let him do it when he changes diapers. When he's not looking, do what you want.

Exactly this.

• imagetokenhoser:
    EBF poop is so runny, I can't see a liner being effective. I just washed it all. If he wants to try to use them, let him do it when he changes diapers. When he's not looking, do what you want. Cold rinse, hot wash, 2 cold rinses is the "standard" wash routine.nbsp;

This, except I do a warm rinse first.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • imagetokenhoser:

EBF poop is so runny, I can't see a liner being effective. I just washed it all. If he wants to try to use them, let him do it when he changes diapers. When he's not looking, do what you want.

This. And detergent only for the wash. We started out with liners to avoid meconium stains (we started right away) and they don't do much for newborn poop. In fact, they get wrinkled up with the explosive poop and you have to dig the liner out of the mess. On another note-meconium washes out just fine :) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • So just dump into washer and that is it? No rinsing needed or can I suggest that to get DH over the line as maybe that is where is is turned off, all the poop going into the washer.

Multiple ectopics, 2 failed IVF's
    IVF #1: Did not get to ET, embies all failed PGD (major chromosomal defects)
    IVF #2: We have 2 chromosomally perfect embies as a result of PGD (Boy/Girl) 1 failed the thaw (Girl) Transferred 1, yet ended as a c/p
    Thought it was the end of our TTC Journey 6/20/2012
    SHOCK BFP 9/28/2012: IT'S A BOY! and everything is normal !!!!!!

Little A born 38w 2d on 05/23/13 and is a true miracle for this IF Vet!

• imageRoxie5739:
    So just dump into washer and that is it? No rinsing needed or can I suggest that to get DH over the line as maybe that is where is is turned off, all the poop going into the washer.

Yep just dump it all in the washer, no rinsing needed.  It'll all dissolve in the water.  Promise.  My DH was so afraid of poo in the washer, and now he does most of our CD laundry. We did have some mild staining, but it's all always come out with sunning.  (Wash, hang while still wet in the sun for a couple hours.) 

I have heard of some people using a diaper sprayer to rinse out EBF NB poo to help reduce staining, but honestly I don't think it makes that much difference.

image imageimageimage

• It is perfectly fine to just throw it all in the washer. If that really, REALLY bothers him, then he needs to be the one to go through all the diapers and spray them off first. It's a total waste of time and effort, and aint no mom got time for that.

Once you start solids, they're usually down to pooping once or twice a day, not every twenty minutes. At that point, you use a liner or sprayer.

• imagetokenhoser:

I couldn't have said it better. 

• Just thought of another optional step you could consider: during NB stage I sprayed poopy diapers with Biokleen Bac-Out (diluted 5:1, but some people do 2:1 or full strength). It might help a bit with stains and breaking down the poo. At the very least, the diaper bin smells nice.

I haven't used Bac-Out since we moved (haven't seen it here), and now we get some staining but that could also be due to the fact that we have hard water now. 

Some people will say not to use Bac-Out b/c it has enzymes but that's a choice you have to make. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"