Success after IF

Clomid, HCG, IUI success???

Hello ladies!  I don't post here often, but I do read the forums a lot.  I've tried three rounds of clomid with my obgyn with no luck - not even ovulation. I have been diagnosed with thin PCOS. I am not seeing an RE, who is going to monitor me this time.  HSG was all clear.  My RE has now bumped up the clomid to 150 mg and we are pairing it with the HCG trigger shot and an IUI.  I am really discouraged - 18 months of BD'ing and no ovulation.  Plus, I keep reading stories of high miscarriage rates with people with PCOS and low rates of success with the IUI.  Has anyone gotten pregnant off of Clomid, HCG, IUI?  Anyone on the first try?  I guess I'm just looking for something to make me feel a bit better about this... its been one long ride!

Re: Clomid, HCG, IUI success???

• I also have PCOS.  I didn't respond to Clomid (and had severe side effects to it) but I got pregnant on my first and third IUI with femara and ovidrel trigger shot.  Unfortunately my first ended in m/c (that probably doesn't help ease your PCOS/miscarriage fears), but my third IUI brought me my sweet little E.  If you don't seem to be responding to the higher dose of clomid, I'd ask your RE about femara (letrozole.)  GL.
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • I am a success story with Clomid, HCG and IUI.  And I also have PCOS.  I didn't respond at all until they put me on 150mg Clomid so hopefully that will work for you too.  You can read my Sig but to summarize my first IUI was a success but I lost the baby at 8.5 weeks.  Now after my 3rd IUI I am 10 weeks pregnant with TWINS!  Of course I am still very cautious with this pregnancy but I am so glad I've made it this far.  Good luck, hope things change now that you're with an RE! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I too have "thin PCOS"and saw an OB after not ovulating on my own.  I was not monitored and did two rounds of Clomid with no ovulation.  When I saw my RE for the first cycle I tried 150mg clomid and a trigger with TI.  I only produced one follie and it was a BFN.  After that we tried Femara 7.5mg and responded much better than on Clomid.  It took 3 rounds of Femara/trigger/IUI to get pregnant with DS.  When TTC #2 it only took two rounds of Femara/trigger/TI to get pregnant.

It sounds like you may not be responding well to Clomid which is very common for women with PCOS.  If this cycle isn't successful I wouldn't get discourage (easier said than done, I know).  I would ask to try Femara for future cycles. 

I have heard that miscarriage rates are higher for women with PCOS but I have been lucky to have not experienced a m/c (although one c/p). 

Good luck to you!

Married 9/19/09
    Me (32) Dx PCOS, DH (32) SA = Normal/mild morph issues
    TTC#5 July 2017 - 3rd cycle TTC = BFP on 11/12/17 at 9dpo Beta #1 = 96 at 13dpo - Beta #2 = 207 at 15dpo
    TTC#1  starting Nov. 2009
    3 rounds of Clomid + TI and 3 rounds of 7.5 mg Femara + IUI before our BFP on 11/8/10 at 12dpiui
    TTC #2 3rd cycle of Femara 7.5mg+Ovidrel+TI = 4 follies = BFP on 10/12/12 
    TTC#3 July 2014 - Metformin +TI = BFP at 9dpo - Twins, one baby lost at 5.5 weeks 
    Macy Annabelle born at 37w4d on 4/29/15.  Diagnosed with Cri du Chat and passed away on 6/6/15.  Forever in our hearts.
    TTC#4 3rd cycle of Metformin + Femara 7.5mg+Ovidrel+TI = 3 follies = BFP on 12/24/16
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I had success on my third round of clomid, but second IUI with HCG trigger (we did one round of clomid alone) to get pg with my DS.  I didn't have PCOS, though - I had one blocked tube and DH had morph issues.  We were lucky to get pg with #2 and #3 without intervention.  Good luck!!
    TTC#1 = Success on Cycle#19 with Clomid/trigger/b2b IUIs; beta#1 (15dpiui) 200, #2 (18dpiui) 433, #3 (22dpiui) 2356; TTC#2 = Surprise BFP 9/2009; TTC#3 = m/c at 6 wks, 10/29/11; BFP#2 4/1/2012... Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageTJ1979:
    I also have PCOS.  I didn't respond to Clomid (and had severe side effects to it) but I got pregnant on my first and third IUI with femara and ovidrel trigger shot.  Unfortunately my first ended in m/c (that probably doesn't help ease your PCOS/miscarriage fears), but my third IUI brought me my sweet little E.  If you don't seem to be responding to the higher dose of clomid, I'd ask your RE about femara (letrozole.)  GL.

Thanks!  If this cycle doesnt make me ovulate or only produces one folicle, I am going to ask for femara.  He was hesitant to put them on me right away because of my size.   

• imageRapunzel24:
    I am a success story with Clomid, HCG and IUI.  And I also have PCOS.  I didn't respond at all until they put me on 150mg Clomid so hopefully that will work for you too.  You can read my Sig but to summarize my first IUI was a success but I lost the baby at 8.5 weeks.  Now after my 3rd IUI I am 10 weeks pregnant with TWINS!  Of course I am still very cautious with this pregnancy but I am so glad I've made it this far.  Good luck, hope things change now that you're with an RE! 

Thanks!  And good luck with the rest of your pregnancy as well! 

• imageSarafuss:

I too have "thin PCOS"and saw an OB after not ovulating on my own.  I was not monitored and did two rounds of Clomid with no ovulation.  When I saw my RE for the first cycle I tried 150mg clomid and a trigger with TI.  I only produced one follie and it was a BFN.  After that we tried Femara 7.5mg and responded much better than on Clomid.  It took 3 rounds of Femara/trigger/IUI to get pregnant with DS.  When TTC #2 it only took two rounds of Femara/trigger/TI to get pregnant.

It sounds like you may not be responding well to Clomid which is very common for women with PCOS.  If this cycle isn't successful I wouldn't get discourage (easier said than done, I know).  I would ask to try Femara for future cycles. 

I have heard that miscarriage rates are higher for women with PCOS but I have been lucky to have not experienced a m/c (although one c/p). 

Good luck to you!

It sounds like so many people have much better like with Femara... I am definitely interested in this now! 

• imagelaura1:
    I had success on my third round of clomid, but second IUI with HCG trigger (we did one round of clomid alone) to get pg with my DS.  I didn't have PCOS, though - I had one blocked tube and DH had morph issues.  We were lucky to get pg with #2 and #3 without intervention.  Good luck!!

Thank you!  And its so nice to hear success stories! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"