Pregnant after 35
Options

Due with 1 41

So this where you are all hiding! I am 11 weeks Tuesday expecting my first. I really thought I'd have a family before now, but it took a while to find Mr. Right.
I am classified high risk for a number of reasons, age, BP, asthma, thyroid, weight, potential for GD. My friends are mostly done having their children and I could use a peer group to turn to for advice.
Like my OB is telling me she doesn't intend to let me go to 40 weeks and would plan induction no later than 39.....
Also she thinks checking my TSH every trimester should be sufficient. I am autoimmune with a history of wacky numbers so I think we'll revisit that one.
Otherwise I think this has been great! Some heartburn and boobs hurt, but mostly I feel really good and am hopeful for good outcomes.
My husband lives in another state and I need to sell my house to join him. So it's been a little unusual so far, but he was able to be here for the ultrasound.
Anybody else first time mom over 40, any advice on what to hope for in possible birth plans? Induction is limiting, but I will have to find a doctor there when I move, what to look for?
So I guess that's my intro. Sorry if its TMI or too long.
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Due with 1 41

• Options
    Congrats and welcome! I am having baby 3 and will be 37 when she arrives. I completely understand waiting a little longer for Mr. Right! My doctor and I talk all the time about age and pregnancy. While we are considered "old" she always tells me as long as I take care of myself and am closely monitored, there is no reason to not have a healthy baby. I also have borderline high blood pressure, so check that myself at home 34 times/week. It's finally getting nice out here, so I can get out and walk again. Wishing you a very happy and healthy pregnancy!!!
  • Options
    Don't let the OB bring you down. When you switch states, that is one thing I would ask about before picking a new group. The practice I have really doesn't think anything of the fact that I conceived at 42 and will deliver on Tuesday at 43. They said that is the new norm nowadays, and didn't treat me any differently than when I had my first two kids at 28 and 30. DH and I had a huge surprise when we found out we were expecting this new LO....we thought we were done having kids decades ago. I also have hypothyroid and they tested my blood about every 10 weeks or so. I never needed to change my meds, but each person is different. One thing I will tell you regarding asthma...I've worked with 3 different OB groups for all three of my pregnancies. Each one told me the same thing. For 1/3 of patients, asthma gets better during pregnancy, for 1/3 it gets worse, and for 1/3 it stays the same. I was in the category of getting worse, and ended up in the hospital for almost a week with my first. After moving out of state, my allergy induced asthma disappeared, and I didn't need to take any meds for 10 years....but then when I started this pregnancy, it started up again, so I've had to take Flovent and occassionally Albuterol. I'm sure once I deliver that will be done. Anyway, welcome and GL selling your house!

**DD1 - 7/9/98**

**DS - 11/9/00**

**DD2 - 4/30/13**

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hi and congrats!! I'm 43 and having my second child, my first is in college so it's been awhile since I've been on this ride. I'm also being induced at 39 weeks, but it's more due to prior health issues, such as HBP, weight, pre-e & blood clots than it is to age. GL and H&H 9 months.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks! It's good to get some feedback, I know there are a lot of backgrounds here. My husband is an OB nurse, used to do L n D, now is high risk antepartum. But he is very traditional medicine and sometimes a girl just doesn't need the doctor parroted :wink:: I will be checking more with the new docs, I just needed to get care started so this was a quick internet search, knowing I am going to be moving. And I am so glad this board is here :smile::
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Congratulations and welcome!  I am 38 pregnant with LO #2.  I too have a thyroid condition.  My OB is checking my TSH every 4 weeks as advised by my Endocrynologist.  I will tell you that by 12 weeks I had to adjust my thyroid meds, but have been stable ever since, but it's best to check more frequently as you know once your thyroid is off you start to feel a bit funny, or at least I do.  Although I am AMA with a thyroid condition my OB is not treating me any differently.  I have not had many of the tests the ladies here have had, although it makes me wonder if I should, but I like my OB and I trust her so we're just going through the motions and everything has been good so far!  Good luck to you!
  • Options
    Congrats! I am 40 and pregnant with my first. Like you, it took me a long time to find the right guy. My DH and I got married in 2011 and we have suffered 3 losses, so we are very happy things are going well this time. I am 10 weeks today. You are lucky to be feeling so well, first tri has really kicked my . I had to be put on meds for the nausea. I am counting the days to second tri! Good luck with your move, if it were me I think I would do some online searches and see which OB gets really good reviews. I think it's good to see what patients have to say about their doctor.
    Me:41, DH:41 Positive for MTHFR mutations- one copy C677T, one copy A1298C. One daughter born on Thanksgiving in 2013. Six losses.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"