Cloth Diapering

Cloth diapering twins

I am planning on using cloth for my twin boys due next month. Any advice on how many diapers I will need would be great. Not sure if I should go with double what is recommended for one or if that is over doing it. 

Re: Cloth diapering twins

• For starters what kind are you going with?

After talking to a lady at GMD and deciding with my husband we chose to go with a complete stash of prefolds and covers. I currently have 5 dzn each in premie newborn and small. I have 12 covers in one size,4 rumparooz small and 10 homemade newborn covers. Now...take that with a grain of salt a think my boys are due after yours. We wont be going to day care, I have hardle any family who will be here helping, and we are a long long way from babysitters so I fely no need for AIO or simpler systems.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm currently washing every other day with my newborn. I have 32 pocket diapers, which is pretty close to perfect.

How many you need total will probably depend on how often you want to wash. You could do 45 total and wash every day and a half; so wash Monday morning and Tuesday evening, etc. You could do 30 to 32 and wash every day...
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • Loading the player...
  • imageAngela814:
    I'm currently washing every other day with my newborn. I have 32 pocket diapers, which is pretty close to perfect. How many you need total will probably depend on how often you want to wash. You could do 45 total and wash every day and a half; so wash Monday morning and Tuesday evening, etc. You could do 30 to 32 and wash every day...
    You'll need to determine how often you'll need to wash depending on the capacity of your washer. It's usually advised that around 24 one-sized diapers is a full load. You could probably get away with more during the newborn stage and it depends on if you are using all-in-ones or prefolds and covers. I probably wouldn't wash more than 30-36 prefolds in a load.
  • From what I understand, you don't need two full sets for twins. You'll just have to launder more often because a washer won't fit 2 days of 2 babies' diapers anyway.

For what it's worth, I have a stash of 21 BG 4.0s for DD. When DS comes he'll be in prefolds and covers until the 4.0s fit. After that, I'm just dividing the stash. I ordered 6 more on a recent sale, so I'll have 27 diapers for two babies, and that will be plenty to wash every 1 to 1.5 days. (DD and DS will be 13.5 months apart, so I'll be diapering two for quite awhile.)

One of the things I love about cloth diapers is the economy of them. I can have two kids without having double the supply. Honestly, if I were you, I'd buy a little over the recommended amounts for one baby and call it good. If you need to order more later, you always can. :)

Mommy to N (3), J (2), and C (10 months). LO4 is due in mid-September.
  • Wait, so is the washer capacity for diapers only or for all clothes? I probably have 24 pockets in the wash at one time, and they take up so little space in my washer. When I do our clothes, I stuff the washer all the way full.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • imageAngela814:
    Wait, so is the washer capacity for diapers only or for all clothes? I probably have 24 pockets in the wash at one time, and they take up so little space in my washer. When I do our clothes, I stuff the washer all the way full.

I leave more room in my washer when washing CD's (vs clothes) to have a high ratio of water to diapers. I've noticed this when washing in a top loader vs my FL. I can wash more diapers in the top loader since it uses more water.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageAngela814:
    Wait, so is the washer capacity for diapers only or for all clothes? I probably have 24 pockets in the wash at one time, and they take up so little space in my washer. When I do our clothes, I stuff the washer all the way full.

I leave more room in my washer when washing CD's (vs clothes) to have a high ratio of water to diapers. I've noticed this when washing in a top loader vs my FL. I can wash more diapers in the top loader since it uses more water.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagebhdoucette:

imageAngela814:

Interesting. We have a front loader. I'll have to keep an eye on how well the CD wash. Thanks!
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • I would recommend about 70 changes for the NB phase. While you will have go wash just about every day, some days it takes a little longer to get all the way to the washer so it is nice to have some leeway. I would also recommend a dozen or so AIOs as part of that at least. Way easier to explain to helpers! I now have about 70 diapers in rotation but could get away with 4550. I wash about every day and a half, my twins are 10 months old though. Even with a ton of fancy diapers, I have saved a ton on diapers and I love doing it with twins! Plus you go through an astonishing number of diapers those first few weeks and it is really nice to not feel like you're wasting by changing every 30 seconds after they poop in a fresh diaper. Good luck and hope your last month is as comfortable as possible!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"