May 2013 Moms

the great debate...

of the moment at our house is baby wearing and what style is best. Im jsut looking for a bit of experienced opinion for a first timer :)

I want a Baby K'tan! I love them! Hubs says they are to risky and would prefer we invest the money in a "real" carrier... snugli or the like with structure...

What do the ladies out there think? preferences and personal opinions?

Thank you

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: the great debate...

• I'm confused. What's "risky" about a k'tan? And what makes it not "real"?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • If I understand your question, I say both. I borrowed a couple slings from a friend for the early months because my understanding is they work great for that time period and her daughter liked being in them. And I have a Becco Gemini as a more structured option which our LO won't outgrow so fast...
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • no structure or rigid boning... again... Hubs opinion.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageGabbabridge:
    If I understand your question, I say both. I borrowed a couple slings from a friend for the early months because my understanding is they work great for that time period and her daughter liked being in them. And I have a Becco Gemini as a more structured option which our LO won't outgrow so fast...

Thank you :)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Never had a k tan.

Moby: loved and used frequently until it became a bit warm.in the summer Also, they are only safe up to 15 lbs. Front Carries only.

Ergo: used the hell outta this. Fast, easy, comfortable, DS still likes it! Good to 35 lbs, I think. Front, hip, and back Carries.

Sling: very convenient for NIP, but hurt my neck, previous injury. I used it for going into restaurants to nurse while i waited for my food.

Bjorn: DH loved it, bit not terribly comfortable for anyone, and is a bit controversial.

Didymos: love, love, love! Cooler than anything else, versatile, and beautiful!

BFP#1 "Watermelon" born 3/2011
    BFP#2 "Pumpkin" 7/14/12 ~ EDD 3/23/13 ~ Natural M/C 8/3/12 @ 7 weeks
    BFP#3 "Pineapple"  born 4/2013
    BFP#4 "Grapefruit" EDD 3/29/16
  • Oh, go check out the becomingmamas blog. It's a wealth of information written by a bumpie.

BFP#1 "Watermelon" born 3/2011
    BFP#2 "Pumpkin" 7/14/12 ~ EDD 3/23/13 ~ Natural M/C 8/3/12 @ 7 weeks
    BFP#3 "Pineapple"  born 4/2013
    BFP#4 "Grapefruit" EDD 3/29/16
  • I have a Moby wrap and am getting an ergo for when he's a bit bigger. You can't use the ergo with a newborn without another insert (not sure about other "structured" carriers). I think I am going to get a k'tan too. I think my moby may be too hot in summer. Personally I think the wraps are better for when they're little. 
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • The ktan and moby.... I have no idea if I could get that on with a baby.... I'd be afraid that I would mess it up and baby would slide down my legs!

i got the Ergo.

• imagewatermelon mom:
    Never had a k tan. Moby: loved and used frequently until it became a bit warm.in the summer Also, they are only safe up to 15 lbs. Front Carries only. Ergo: used the hell outta this. Fast, easy, comfortable, DS still likes it! Good to 35 lbs, I think. Front, hip, and back Carries. Sling: very convenient for NIP, but hurt my neck, previous injury. I used it for going into restaurants to nurse while i waited for my food. Bjorn: DH loved it, bit not terribly comfortable for anyone, and is a bit controversial. Didymos: love, love, love! Cooler than anything else, versatile, and beautiful!

Excellent, I didnt think my question was too confusing! Thank you! Ive not heard of the Didymos but will be checking it out now!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageLaineyPaney:

The ktan and moby.... I have no idea if I could get that on with a baby.... I'd be afraid that I would mess it up and baby would slide down my legs!

i got the Ergo.

That is exactly what Hubby is worried about!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I have a k'tan and a moby, and I plan to get an ergo as well.  I'm that person.  I see benefits to each of them through the different stages of baby's growth and development.
  • I have a Moby for when LO is small and an Ergo for when baby is a little older.  I had a basic baby pack with my other LO's and really never used or liked any of them.  Since moving to a new area and meeting many mothers that baby-wear, I have been told Moby and Ergo are the favorites around here.

Good luck! 

• I used the K'tan when DS was first born and loved it. It is actually very snug and I never felt like DS was going to fall out of it. I used the Beco Gemini for when he got bigger.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I have a K'tan that I got for this baby for more hands free snuggling.  I don't see myself using it for walks or that sort of thing.  While I don't think it is unsafe at all, I do feel much more secure with the Ergo thus that was all I used last time.  If you are only going to get one carrier, definitely go for the Ergo.  For snuggles and nursing and newborn time, I think a K'tan is perfect.  I know plenty of people love their Mobys but that thing scares me.  I am too terrified I would do it wrong. 

Clearly I definitely see your husband's side of things a bit more than others.  At first the idea of wearing DD and expecting the carrier to keep her from falling was terrifying but the more I did it the better I got at it.  This time I expect to love having my hands to juggle both kids.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thank you for all the helpful posts :) Much appreciated!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagebotanicalbliss:
    I have a k'tan and a moby, and I plan to get an ergo as well.  I'm that person.  I see benefits to each of them through the different stages of baby's growth and development.

We can be those people together! I have a moby, ergo, and ring sling. I'd have a k'tan except that It doesn't seem like my build is ideal for it (huge boobs, really really short torso). But I really want something in between. Thinking about trying a mei tai.

They're all good for different situations!

• imagebotanicalbliss:
    I have a k'tan and a moby, and I plan to get an ergo as well.  I'm that person.  I see benefits to each of them through the different stages of baby's growth and development.

It was nice to read you have both the k'tan and the moby.  I really wanted the k'tan and that is what I registered for, but someone gave me a moby.  I didn't remove the k'tan from my registry when I got the moby, and now based on my registry stalking it looks like I'm getting the k'tan too.  I was feeling guilty about getting both, so it's nice to hear that they have different benefits and are good for different stages.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have a K'tan for myself but I want to get an Ergo for both DH and I to use, also.
  • I have a Moby (which I understand has a learning curve), a sling and an Ergo.  I wanted carriers that either DH (6'3") or I (5'5") could use.
    My Life in D.C.
    The Daily Nugget

photo beachwave_zps17d3b89a.jpg
    Cycle 12, IUI #1 - 33m post wash 10/15/10 = BFN
    Cycle 13, IUI #2 - 15m post wash 11/16/10 = BFP, missed m/c, D&C 1/3/11
    Cycle 15 - 18, IUI #3-6 = BFN
    Cycle 20, IUI #7 = BFP!, missed m/c 9/14, D&C
    DE-IVF Aug. 2012: ER 8/30 11R, 7M, 4F; ET 9/4 returned 2
    Beta 9/18 #1-820, #2-1699, #3-7124
    10/1 1st u/s measuring right on track, 125 bpm

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Go to a store and see if you can try it on with a doll. I did and bought the K'tan. Much easier to put on than the Moby and it feels really secure, the baby isn't going anywhere, and luckily, both Spouse and I can wear the same size. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have a k'tan, a beachfront baby wrap (for outdoors/pool), and a manduca. They each serve a purpose IMO. Good luck, op!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"