Military Families

green to gold

Has anyone, or their spouse, done the active duty program where you're given 24months at the college of your choice to get a bachelors? My husbands reenlistment ceremony is thursday but hes going to talk to several people today, including his career counsler, to see if he could just extend his current contract instead and apply to the program. I'm just wondering if anyone has been through this and if it was difficult to get accepted. Thanks

Re: green to gold

• I am sure that this varies branch to branch, but programs like this in the USMC are very competitive and candidates are typically expected to already have a lot of credits and to graduate early.  I have had a couple Marines get accepted, and they were rock stars across the board.  I am not sure if this program is even being funded right now, due to budget constraints.  It's a great idea for your husband to talk to his command (since he would need letters of recommendation and all that).  Also, I am not sure about the timing, but I think that it is a once a year type thing where you need to apply to a University in the fall, get accepted, then apply to the military program.  Again, I really don't know about the timing, but I think that at best you might be looking to start applying for the 2014-2015 school year.  I don't know how long he could extend for, but reenlisting might be a more sure thing this late in the game.
  • If his re-enlistment ceremony is this Thursday I'm going to say its a little late to try and add this into his contract. However, he can still apply if its what he wants to do. I know a friend of mine attempted to do it and while she has a lot of schooling and she had recommendation letters and completed the entry essay, she was not selected. If it is something he wants to do, he should look into it.

BFP #1 11/07/2012 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C 11/22/2012

BFP #2 02/05/2013 EDD 09/19/2013 Arrived via c-section 09/27/2013

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Our experience may differ, since we're Navy, but my H applied for the Navy version of it, STA-21, unsuccessfully, even with great evals and his Associate's already completed with honors. It was extremely competitive.

His enlistment didn't affect his application though. Why not just reenlist and apply? 

My H ended up having success with another program - the Limited Duty Officer program. It took several attempts, but he commissioned last year. I'm not sure if the other branches have a similar program. It was a better bet for him, because the age cut off was higher, giving him more time to achieve the goal.
  • imagekmcd23:

Our experience may differ, since we're Navy, but my H applied for the Navy version of it, STA-21, unsuccessfully, even with great evals and his Associate's already completed with honors. It was extremely competitive.

His enlistment didn't affect his application though. Why not just reenlist and apply? 

My H ended up having success with another program - the Limited Duty Officer program. It took several attempts, but he commissioned last year. I'm not sure if the other branches have a similar program. It was a better bet for him, because the age cut off was higher, giving him more time to achieve the goal.

My husband isn't too fond of his MOS and he was really wanting to switch. We'd been meeting with his career counsler over the course of 6 weeks. Every time he'd try to put a hold on a new MOS for my husband, the counsler would say he'd call us back. After 6 weeks of no calls, setting up appointments only to find out the counsler wasn't there, and so on everything had been taken. And the new rule just went into effect that now you have to be at your duty station 36 months. My husband even tried talking to a different career counsler a few weeks ago and they told him he can only talk to the one assigned to him. All of the options the counsler and the sgt maj. had helped us look into are now gone because someone wanted to screw around (turns out the counsler is also about to be discharged and my husband isn't the only one who is having problems with this guy...go figure). So now my husband can't change his MOS and we had to pick between Bliss and Lewis-Mcchord.

But, I just talked to my husband. He's going to go ahead and sign for 3 more years at lewis. The current PA he works under and his NCO are helping him submit his paperwork for the green to gold program to become a PA. I hope it all works out. Another medic he works with is doing the same program at the moment and she had not problem getting accepted. Thanks ladies!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"