Reading Readiness Classes — The Bump
Pre-School

Reading Readiness Classes

We received flyers from the Instute of Reading Development and I was wondering if anyone here has used their reading programs and if you have any feedback. It is a once a week class for 4 - 5 year olds with a parent and it is supposed to get kids excited about reading and familiar with letters, phonics, kindergarten level skills. DS1 is already very enthusiastic about books and while he cannot read yet, he knows all letters (capitals only) and can write his name and enjoys being read to very much. So I am not sure that it would be worth the cost of the class to enroll him but if this is a wonderful program anyone has used and would recommend then I would be happy to take him. TIA!

http://readingprograms.org/

2007 BFP#1 MMC 12w; 2008 BFP#2 DS1; 2010 BFP#3 DS2; 2011 TTC; 2013 Pursuing DIA

Re: Reading Readiness Classes

• If he is on level and ready to read then I wouldn't waste the money. He will learn to read in kindergarten. Honestly you can do that stuff at home. Practice rhyming, identifying sounds in words, blending sounds together like llll ooo ggg says log. I taught kindergarten and your little guy sounds like he'll do fine. Work on lowercase letter recognition and sounds at home if he's interested.

Also, my kids enjoy the letter factory movie. It's a leapfrog video.
  • imageLulobug22:
    If he is on level and ready to read then I wouldn't waste the money. He will learn to read in kindergarten. Honestly you can do that stuff at home. Practice rhyming, identifying sounds in words, blending sounds together like llll ooo ggg says log. I taught kindergarten and your little guy sounds like he'll do fine. Work on lowercase letter recognition and sounds at home if he's interested. Also, my kids enjoy the letter factory movie. It's a leapfrog video.

I agree with this.  I think it is great if you;re just looking for some way to fill time together, if he is resistent to this type of stuff with you, or if you just want help learning how to make learning fun, but generally I think kids do a great job leading parents when they are ready for learning.  My first was full on reading by 3.5.  My 3 y9m old twins are not even close but beginning to ask about letters and sounds and enjoy silly games we play in the car working on rhyming and making up silly words that begin with different letters.  Ultimately, I would, and am, opting for classes that focus on physical activity like tumbling and tae kwon do.

If you really want to be happy, no one can stop you.

[IMG]http://i47.tinypic.com/34fg0u1.jpg[/IMG]
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you! You have all been very helpful!  I will incorporate your ideas and start playing games that may encourage further learning in a less structured manner as I think that would work well for us. I will look into the leapfrog video as well. I felt that I might deprive DS1 from a meaningful experience but the cost of a reading readiness class seems high for the limited time spent in that class. Thank you for making me feel better and making me rethink the "need" to enroll my son in a class that he can do fine without. Have a wonderful week!
    2007 BFP#1 MMC 12w; 2008 BFP#2 DS1; 2010 BFP#3 DS2; 2011 TTC; 2013 Pursuing DIA
  • Oh and in addition to the leapfrog videos, definitely get the SuperWhy board game.  It has helped my guys and boosted their interest a lot. 

If you really want to be happy, no one can stop you.

[IMG]http://i47.tinypic.com/34fg0u1.jpg[/IMG]
  • Ditto everyone else.  My DD basically taught herself to read with very little coaching from us.  Her pediatrician recently recommended a website called starfall.com that has reading and math games.  You have to buy a membership to access the full site, but DD really enjoys it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards