March 2012 Moms
Options

DH wants to go to Australia

Today is our 5th wedding anniversary and I just opened my present... A proposal that we take a trip to Australia later this year. 1.5 to 2 weeks, just us. He even hand drew a map of our proposed road trip route. He wants to start a new tradition of us taking a vacation every 5 years. Very sweet and fun idea.
But it's just too much for me. I haven't spent a single night away from DS yet. I have an overnight trip planned in mid June but the way sleep training is going right now I'm starting to doubt if I can go. Plus he is still nursing strong and I have no plans to wean, and not much of a freezer stash. DS isn't taking any other milk yet due to his MSPI.
Not to mention I don't think we can afford it. We're barely making ends meet right now with me only working 3 days a week. I don't plan to increase my hours until DS is napping better at daycare.
DH suggested we go in late November which I know is a ways off, but it's still stressing me out! I want to propose we save Australia for our 10 year trip and go somewhere closer to home for maybe a week. But I know DH will be disappointed.
Mamas, don't be nice. If you think I'm being silly, say so! I don't want to ruin our anniversary. :[

Re: DH wants to go to Australia

• Options
    WipzWipz member
    buy a webcam for whoever is looking after LO... and go enjoy your anniversary.   Your kid will be fine with the right person and you can never afford a trip like that lol.  If you just won't enjoy it then don't go.. but you have months ahead of you to get to the right place where your LO is fine and you will enjoy the break.

saying that I can understand the hesitance and If I didnt have a new grandbaby sitting in Sydney I'd probably opt for the closer to home option too.. but in all honesty we'd take the munchkin with us anyway regardless of where we went lol.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm with you. I left DS for two days while I was in the hospital with DD and cried a majority if the time, and a lot even leading up to it. If you are not comfortable just let your husband know!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I absolutely understand and couldn't do it either.  My own parents were given a gift of round trip airfare to New Zealand when I was 10 and my brothers were 8 and they wound up bringing us along because my mom didn't want to be halfway around the world from us.. and we were much older than your DS.  

I haven't spent a night away from DS either and we're in the same boat as far as sleep training so I don't see a night away from him happening in the immediate future either.  I think your compromise of a closer trip now and a bigger trip later is a good one.  If you think you wouldn't be able to enjoy yourself and/or would be worrying about him a lot while you're gone, it's not worth it, IMO.

image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Kristina's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) 
    We go together like a wink and a smile. June 27, 2009 
    52 books in 2015?           
    image  Image and video hosting by TinyPic   
  • Options
    We haven't been away alone since A was born either and we've been struggling to come up with a good first trip. Since we know it's going to be hard, we're thinking about a long weekend in Vegas or San Francisco but we keep coming up with excuses not to go (we've both been swamped at work, too so that's been part of it). I don't think I'd be ready for a huge trip like Australia (even though I'd absolutely love to go someday!). Since it is such a big trip, and definitely not cheap, I think I'd want to wait until I was sure I could enjoy it.

• Options
    Thanks everyone! I feel more justified in my hesitation now. I still haven't said anything to DH, since he asked me to "hear him out". Obviously he knew I'd be hesitant! I think we'll talk about it tonight. Wish me luck!
  • Options
    Let us know how it goes. Sounds like an awesome opportunity, but I would be hesitant, too.

I'm going to FL for 4 days in Aug and leaving DD with DH and I'm nervous about that!!
  • Options

If you can get the money together, do it!

I don't know how all of you haven't had a night away yet. I love my nights without DD! Don't happen often but they are amazing. I have one coming up in a couple weeks. :)

November is a long time off. I bet he will be weaned by then and sleeping better.

But I also understand wanting to go a closer trip and saving that one for later. Then you have a lot of time to save up money for it too and can make it a really great trip.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Married: 1/2008 ~ DD#1: 3/2012
    TTC #2: Started 4/2014       BFP 7/30/15   MC 8/3/15       BFP 9/4/2015   EDD 5/16/2016

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"