August 2011 Moms

Kind of random, but...

I have this pet peeve about people calling a sell by date an expiration date. These, I think, are the same people who can't fathom a woman not being in labor by or on her due date.

When I lived with Ex he would say the milk had gone bad if the sell by date had been reached or passed. I'm like, for real? Sniff the milk and see if it smells off. If not, it's consumable.

Same with other foods and such. This drives me batty!

The things you think about at 4 am...

// I love you too. //

Re: Kind of random, but...

• DH is like that. He always asks me now if things are ok or not.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yeah I 100 percent agree. DH throws stuff out so quickly. Being part hillbilly, we do the sniff test. If it smells bad or looks bad then it is bad. I can't stand it when he chucks crap bc it's the sell by date. Esp eggs, they boil so much better if they're on the old side.
  • Loading the player...
  • Eggs have a sell by date? never looked for it.  Just take then out of the carton and put them in something else.

I do often watch/throw dairy products, but I have a sensitive stomach Since getting sick on miracle whip last summer and am chicken. Although it was because it got warm and then put back in the fridge.  But since then I have had something like food poisioning 3 times. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • It's not the sellby date that gets me so much as it is my DH's complete aversion to leftovers. I just don't get it. If you scarfed down 3 helpings the night before, why in the world are you not okay with consuming it the next day? In my book, some things are definitely better the next day! Stupid leftover snobbery.
  • Oh oh. I'm on your Shiit list. I do that. Sowy.
  • imageshanado:
    Oh oh. I'm on your Shiit list. I do that. Sowy.

Me too! I hate leftovers and anything that might be close to expiring. It grosses me out. I wish I could get over it because I throw a lot away.
  • Ohhh, me too!  I hate hate hate wasting food, I am such a stickler about making sure things get eaten before they get thrown away, including leftovers.

I almost cried when I had to throw out two chicken breasts a week or two ago because I didn't cook them soon enough after thawing.  I am telling myself it's because I'm pregnant and hormonal, and not because I'm a total freak.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I am a weirdo about food. For real. I know this and it drives my SO insane but I cannot help it lol. I won't eat anything past the sell by date. 
  • imagekikalynne:
    It's not the sellby date that gets me so much as it is my DH's complete aversion to leftovers. I just don't get it. If you scarfed down 3 helpings the night before, why in the world are you not okay with consuming it the next day? In my book, some things are definitely better the next day! Stupid leftover snobbery.

ARGH, I have never understood leftover snobbery!!  WHY?  WHY is it not good enough?  It's a damn waste to throw out perfectly good food simply because it has existed for longer than 24 hours.  That makes me stabby too. 

// I love you too. //

• image5953fpp:
    imageshanado:
    Oh oh. I'm on your Shiit list. I do that. Sowy.
    Me too! I hate leftovers and anything that might be close to expiring. It grosses me out. I wish I could get over it because I throw a lot away.

lol, yous guise, never!  You guys on my Sh!t List?  Pfft.

But seriously, though, the sell-by date is not the same as an expiration date.  Some products even have "sell by xx/xxxx" AND "best if used by xx/xxxx".  I'll toss after the "best if used by date" just to be safe, but if there's only a sell-by date I will just use my eyes and nose to scope the sitch.  If it smells funky or looks funky it's deemed funky and tossed.  If not, I simply cannot bring myself to waste it.  Or, in the case of meat products and other similarly germy foods, I'll go by the FDA's recommendations for how long after thawing the food is fit for consumption.

Then again, I'm super poor, so it's a waste not want not situation and will probably be ingrained into me forever.

// I love you too. //

• I don't think we have "sell by" dates here - only "best before". So do things have like the two dates on them? I feel that would be confusing to the consumer for no reason.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I once threw a shitton of my ex-boyfriend's beers away because I confused the "born on" date with an expiration date.  Whoops!!  Might've been why we didn't work out...
    Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"