Special Needs
Options

Not doing well (vent)

When DS was diagnosed 2 years ago, he had language delays and social delays, but not repetitive behaviors or unusual play. It was devastating when he was diagnosed with PDD-NOS, but I think I took some comfort in that maybe he really just has a "social communication disorder", and not "real" autism. I know that was denial. Anyway, in the past month or so he's starting to demonstrate a lot more concerning behaviors- drawing the same figure over and over, strange play with his building toys, lots of echolalia and scripting, even eating non-food substances. He definitely meets criteria for autism now. For some reason, I feel as devastated as I did when we first realized something was wrong. It's stupid and I should have been prepared for this, but I guess I wasn't. One boy at his daycare even said to me today "Why does he like to copy people?", and it killed me to know his peers are starting to notice he is different.

Just venting and feeling incredibly sad:(

Re: Not doing well (vent)

• Options

((hugs)) When you have a child with an undefined or "spectrum-of-outcomes" diagnosis, you have to walk a fine line between optimism and denial. You want to hope for the best and prepare them for the best possible outcome. But when that outcome does not happen, it's a big punch in the gut. And you ask yourself if you were in denial, but I don't think that is a fair question. Every one of us hopes for the best outcome for our child. And it hurts when we have to "go in for an alignment" to adjust what the possible outcomes might be.

Thinking of you and wishing you peace. 

• Options

Hugs.

I had a 'realignment' this week as well. It sucks. Alot. 

You get so excited about the small gains, they start to brainwash you until either someone or a 'come to jesus' event throws a big bucket of cold water on you. 

Nate was evaluated for vision at school this week. He has been diagnosed as borderline low-vision either 20/70 or 20/100....this is not something that can be fixed with glasses. It is how the brain is processing the information......perhaps our school for the deaf isn't the right placement....getting all of his main lessons visually via sign language may not be good...now were the f do we go? ***cue ice water***

WAY 2 Cool 4 School

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you all for your responses and support. I was well aware that new behaviors might crop up, so I don't know why I'm finding it so difficult to deal with. I now feel rather hopeless about the future- as you said Auntie, about the other shoe dropping, I feel like I'm always going to live in fear of what we'll have to deal with next. I know this is a passing mood and I'll get back to a place of acceptance again. But it feels traumatic to know that the devastation of this diagnosis will continue to haunt me at intervals, probably throughout my life:(
  • Options
    imageAssembly_Reqd:

Hugs.

I had a 'realignment' this week as well. It sucks. Alot. 

You get so excited about the small gains, they start to brainwash you until either someone or a 'come to jesus' event throws a big bucket of cold water on you. 

Nate was evaluated for vision at school this week. He has been diagnosed as borderline low-vision either 20/70 or 20/100....this is not something that can be fixed with glasses. It is how the brain is processing the information......perhaps our school for the deaf isn't the right placement....getting all of his main lessons visually via sign language may not be good...now were the f do we go? ***cue ice water***

Hugs right back to you- that is very tough news to hear:(

• Options
    image-auntie-:
    imageAssembly_Reqd:

Wow. That really does suck. Is the team suggesting that he change his placement or can they work within the program to differeniate his instruction to be more multisensory? 

They *seem* to be willing to work with us. We are going to meet with some of the admissions people at the end of May and discuss our plan further.They are also having the schools behavior therapist evaluating himper my request. :>  

WAY 2 Cool 4 School

• Options

{{hugs}}

This resonates with me.  We're already having a crappy weekend and DH says to me earlier that he felt a little bummed because Chris doesn't seem to be doing any better than he did at the start of the school year.  I said to him what auntie mentioned before - that his delays would become more noticeable as he got older.  Where I clung to the PDD-NOS not quite autism liferaft for a while, there is no doubt anymore that Chris has ASD and I might even question the mild part of his range (mild to moderate).  Of course maybe I'm attributing what I think might end up being ADHD to ASD but irrespective it's a hard bitter pill to swallow.

Vent away.  We've been there.  {{hugs}} 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"