Detroit Babies
Options

Kindergarten Enrollment Age Change

Hi I was wondering if anyone was having any thoughts about the KG enrollment age being phased to Sept 1.  I am looking at preschools for next fall and am running into all sorts of difficulty with the new age requirement.  Any one else having problems?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Kindergarten Enrollment Age Change

• Options
    When the restriction was 5 by December 1st, we were planning to send our DD to daycare that year, her bday is in November. Now i guess we have no choice. We are not doing pre-school, staying at daycare but i guess she'll be almost 6 going to kindergarten.
    imageNicole Hanna 11-23-2010
    Birthday
  • Options
    Same here.  I guess this is what other states have been dealing with for awhile now.  Good Luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    As a teacher I like the change. As a mommy of an October baby, boo. 
  • Options

When is your child's birthday?    Are you having difficulty with age requirements for preschool?  As a teacher I am very happy with the change although this phasing in of the new requirements are causing a headache for parents and teachers alike.  I already know that when my child starts 3 year old preschool he/she will be almost 4 years old since I am not due until September. 

As a preschool teacher and being well informed of the law, there is a way to waiver your child into kindergarten for the next two years while there is a transition to the new age requirement.  You can petition your kindergarten with a letter to allow your child to enter kindergarten as long as the teacher and the principal agree. This must be done before June 1st.  Most school are going back to testing in coming students as part of the date change.  Most parents are not aware of this part of the law, but if you read the whole thing it is mentioned.  My school is allowing this on a case by case basis.  Hope that this helps.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options

OMG!  I had no idea this had changed. We have a DD with an october bday so I guess she will have to wait one more year :(  darn!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"