Cloth Diapering

To alva or not to alva?

What are people's thoughts on alva baby? I'm a FTM and would live to use apple cheeks but they're too pricey. Alva seems like a reasonable deal but before making a largeish order I would love your opinions. Tia!!!

Re: To alva or not to alva?

• Like any brand you'll find people who love them and people who don't. Just like lots of people love BGs and swear by them but I didn't like them. 90% of my pocket stash is Alvas so clearly I love them. The larger fit works for my DD and her chunky thighs. Their pocket size accommodates 2 medium size prefolds which works for us overnight, they've held up great for us and I've never had an issue ever.

Their MF inserts don't hold much pee, but DD is still able at almost 11 months to wear them during the day when she can be changed every 2 hours. When we're out and about or she's at daycare I stuff the pockets with one of their MF inserts and one 3 layer bamboo and that works great and the bamboo is so thin theres minimal extra bulk.

I think they are great value for the price. I often even reach for them over my RaR which are typically over $20 each.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• I have one alva in my stash. It is clearly of lesser quality fabric wise than my other diapers but it still functions just fine. Also, I agree with PP that it is a larger diaper (like Kawaii) and less likely to fit a skinny/small baby.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I ordered one Alva to try out, and honestly, they are great for the money. I don't put them on my LO yet, but I use them on my toddler and I've never had an issue. 

Either way, I wouldn't suggest making a large order. Try one or two out first and if you like them, then go back for more.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks for all the advice ladies!!! I will make a small order and see how it goes. :
  • My stash is probably 20 alva. My dd has super chunky thighs and it works well for her. As pp said, the diaper is obviously made of lesser quality fabric but it holds the pee and is functional. They have a wide variety of prints which I like too. Can't beat the price. I can't speak to how well they hold up over time though.

DS: Oliver 12/28/10
    DD: Alice 8/8/12

• I'll say I'm only just now having delaminating issues with a few of my alvas, but that's after nearly 15 months of use. They've been a pretty good diaper until recently, but they're so affordable I don't mind replacing them.
    July '15 siggy challenge: Thanksgiving fails
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
    PitaPata Cat tickersPitaPata Cat tickers
  • And you get free but slow shipping from alvababy so ordering one is really cheap. Their wetbags are nice, I will say, not a fan of the diapers.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagenamara5532:
    I'll say I'm only just now having delaminating issues with a few of my alvas, but that's after nearly 15 months of use. They've been a pretty good diaper until recently, but they're so affordable I don't mind replacing them.

i think Alva has a lifetime warranty of their PUl. If you email them a pic of the delaminates diaper they will send you a replacement. 

• I'd buy one to see if you like it. If you do make a big order. I've heard it doesnt take as long for some people...only a week and a halfish
    image"Lilypie">imageimage

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Alvas are the majority of our stash for our two little ones, a skinny runt at 18 months and a chunky monkey at 6 months.  They work well for both boys.  You can't really beat the price, IMO.  Yes the shipping can be a little long with a smaller order, but you get free express if you order 20+ items (which took less than a week for me on the East coast).  You could always order one or two to try out before ordering a larger amount.  

Just a sidenote (if not allowed to say this, I will delete): there is a Alvababy B/S/T on facebook.  The prices are a tad bit higher than they would be if ordering directly from the Alva website, but you wouldn't have to wait so long for shipping since they are domestic. 

I: November 2011 
    M: November 2012
  • I really like ours. I use the OS for DD2 overnight, although she's starting to outgrow them. The prints are cute, and we don't have problems with leaks.

The newborn Alvas are now starting to fit DD3 without twisting the tabs. I have one that is having problems with leaks, but the rest are okay.

Overall, for the price I really like them. I also love our Kawaii diapers. I almost wish I hadn't bothered with the more expensive brands.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • I have a Kawaii and several Alvas and rarely use them...I prefer my AppleCheeks and Blueberries to most of my stash.  The fit is awful on DD.  even the NB diapers never fit her.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • 90 percent of my stash is Alvas. I think they are a wonderful bang for your buck. DS is only 4 months so I can't comment on how well they hold up, but even if it's not as well as other brands, they were literally a quarter the price so who cares!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I love ours.  DD is on the bigger side so I love the bigger fit.  Definitely worth the inexpensive price.
    imageimageimage

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers">AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers 
    Formerly dlsexton
    BFP #1 Dec 2010 ~ Blighted Ovum Jan 2011 @ 11wks D&C Jan '11 & Mar '11
    BFP #2 July 2011 ~ Miss Amelia born 3/30/12 @ 41 weeks!
    BFP #3 July 2013 ~ M/C Aug 2013 @ 5.5 weeks
    BFP #4 Oct 2013 ~ Miss Lydia born 6/3/14 @ 36 weeks!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"