Cloth Diapering

Ammonia

I'm having issues with our pockets and ammonia after they've been peed in. We have fifty fifty MF and natural fibers inserts but it's happening with all of them. We wash EOD and I only use 2 scoops of tide original. I rinse 3 times and no suds or bubbles.
The bathroom stinks terrible because of it, I have them in a hanging wet bag in there.
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Ammonia

• Correct me if I'm wrong. What I'm reading is that when LO pees in the diaper, it stinks?
    Did you recently switch to cows milk? (i see from your ticker LO is 1! Happy Birthday!)
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • No new switches. He's 14 months old actually. They smell when I take them off and an hour later they reak
  • Oh! Your ticker stopped at 1  haha. Every day is your 14 month olds birthday  lol. When I switched my DS to cows milk, the diaprs got AWEFUL. It is nasty. They smell fine after I wash them, and we play the game again.
  • imageredjam12:
    Oh! Your ticker stopped at 1nbsp; haha. Every day is your 14 month olds birthdaynbsp; lol. When I switched my DS to cows milk, the diaprs got AWEFUL. It is nasty. They smell fine after I wash them, and we play the game again.

Oh gross. It's been recent. Like the last 2 weeks. He's been on WCM since 11 months so a while. Part of it is brother potty trained and is totally out of diapers so the EOD loads are smaller.

Would that make a difference ?
  • imageMrsPteranodon:
    imageredjam12:
    Oh! Your ticker stopped at 1nbsp; haha. Every day is your 14 month olds birthdaynbsp; lol. When I switched my DS to cows milk, the diaprs got AWEFUL. It is nasty. They smell fine after I wash them, and we play the game again.

Oh gross. It's been recent. Like the last 2 weeks. He's been on WCM since 11 months so a while. Part of it is brother potty trained and is totally out of diapers so the EOD loads are smaller.

Could be with smaller loads, your washer isn't using enough water? Or too much detergent since there's less to get clean...
    imageimageAnniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagethemrsbird:
    imageMrsPteranodon:
    imageredjam12:

Could be with smaller loads, your washer isn't using enough water? Or too much detergent since there's less to get clean...

We have an old school top loader. I use extra large load setting and it fills. I went from 3 scoops down to 2 when we started going through less diapers
  • Someone correct me if this is wrong but my understanding is that to get diapers clean they need to agitate some against each other. You may be using too much water. I wash EOD with 1 in diapers and use the med water setting with no issue.
  • Build up is ammonia. So strip. Two full scoops of tide? I mean...maybe you're doing two tablespoons....two scoops is insane. Right? Wash then rinse rinse rinse til you see no bubbles anymore. Good luck. How's the job? Haven't seen you around here anymore.
    image"Lilypie">imageimage

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageBemyselfandi:
    Build up is ammonia. So strip. Two full scoops of tide? I mean...maybe you're doing two tablespoons....two scoops is insane. Right? Wash then rinse rinse rinse til you see no bubbles anymore. Good luck. How's the job? Haven't seen you around here anymore.

Oh I use a Charlie's scoop in my tide so it's 2 scoops of that. I'll strip everything tomorrow on my day off.

The job is good. Usually I'm really busy today was really slow though.

I think we might get buddy a kitten now that he's such a big boy. But idk the idea of litter grosses me out
  • imageMrsPteranodon:
    I think we might get buddy a kitten now that he's such a big boy. But idk the idea of litter grosses me out

you could always get one of the cat potty training kits! lol
    imageimageAnniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagethemrsbird:
    imageMrsPteranodon:

you could always get one of the cat potty training kits! lol

Fuuuun. We have three cats. Litters not that bad. Honestly. Then again I've been cleaning the box for about 20 years. We are thinking of getting Dax a puppy or dog when we buy a house.
    image"Lilypie">imageimage

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imageTexasMom7137:
    Someone correct me if this is wrong but my understanding is that to get diapers clean they need to agitate some against each other. You may be using too much water. I wash EOD with 1 in diapers and use the med water setting with no issue.

I wash EOD or 3rd day - I have mostly flip covers and pre-folds (no pockets, so less laundry)  I use the medium setting (sometimes low!) and 1 scoop of Bum Genius detergent.

• I would do a hot water strip and try to adjust your detergent amount down again, maybe 1.5 scoops.   It could also be that there isn't enough friction to get the loads clean, and you may want to try every 3 day washing. We moved to that as DD2 got older and it took longer to make a full load. 
    Baby boy H is here! Born 2/1/2014 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Mysterious_wife: "And for the love of all things that sparkle, remove your last name" on BOTB.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"