High-Risk Pregnancy

Hello - Not HR but potentially??

Hello. DH & I are both 28, been married for almost 5 years and are getting ready to start TTC. When I was 21 I had thyroid cancer and had the tumor, thyroid & partial parathyroid removed. Only within the last year have I only begun to feel "almost normal" as far as energy levels. My question is this - do you or someone you know had severe issues with their thyroid and did it affect them TTC or complicate their pregnancy? In the past (when we were far from having kids) I talked to my endo & she didn't think there would be any trouble. When I talked to my OB/GYN around the same time frame, she was really concerned about it. I do have appointments coming up soon with both to discuss the issues.

I have posted this on the Babies on the Brain board & they didn't have any experience. I contacted my online ThyCa survivors group and they didn't have any advice either so I thought maybe you all might have any insight or experience??

TIA

Me - 29, DH - 30

Married 8/2008

TTC since 8/2013

9/2014 Progesterone test - Perfect

10/2014 HSG - All Clear

9/2014 DH's SA - Perfect

Re: Hello - Not HR but potentially??

• Have you posted on TTGP? When I was posting there, there were a decent amount of ladies that had thyroid issues.  Best of luck to you!
    Hoping this one stays put a little longer
    BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• No I haven't but I will. Thanks!!

Me - 29, DH - 30

Married 8/2008

TTC since 8/2013

9/2014 Progesterone test - Perfect

10/2014 HSG - All Clear

9/2014 DH's SA - Perfect

• Loading the player...
  • I dont have personal experience with this but my mom had her thyroid removed prior to having me 30 years ago.  She was on synthroid through her pregnancy with me and didnt have any complications from it.  I think as long as your levels are controlled, it isnt an issue.  Many people have thyroid disease, either high or low during pregnancy.  I was born right at 36 weeks (not sure if that had anything to do with the earlier birth) but withouth complications and went home right away.

I wouldnt worry too much about it to be honest just make sure you are checking your levels very frequently.

BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Lurker...

Undiagnosed and untreated thyroid issues are a common cause of difficulty conceiving. When thyroid hormone levels are maintained, it usually fixes the problem. I would assume that since you know you have an issue, and are hopefully keeping levels good with Synthroid, that you should be okay thyroid-wise.  

Started TTC 2/2009
    Started fertility treatments 11/2010
    Ovarian dysfunction, LPD, male factor
    6 failed medicated IUI's
    Pregnant 5/2011 - Miscarriage at 6 weeks due to triploidy
    Decided to adopt - 6/2012
    SURPRISE! Pregnant without intervention - 7/2012 
    Sweet Baby James Born 3/2013
    Decided to be "One and Done"

....OR NOT.
    Pregnant 12/2018 despite birth control pills
    Here we go again...