Preemies
Options

progesterone shot

Hi,

has anyone had the progesterone shot? I am pregnant with my second baby and since my first one was born pre-term (35 weeks), she suggesteted progesterone shots to help me carry this pregnancy longer. I just wanted feed back Your stories, experience, side effects, ect. what you think about it?

thanks everyone.

(also posted on 2nd tri board)

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: progesterone shot

• Options

I've been getting the shot weekly since 16 weeks.  My son was born at 34 weeks, 3 days, I am currently 33 weeks, 4 days.

I'm curious to see how far I will get this pregnancy.

No real side effects for me.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I have been on it since 16w and my last shot will be when I am 35w3d. I am convinced that it has helped me stay pg for as this long since my cervix started to shorten at 22w. I have also been placed on bed rest since. I had a son at 26 weeks last time due to pPROM. I haven't really had any side effects from it, just some itching on the injection spot but I haven't had that for a long time.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm on my third shot.  I hadn't had any side effects until today.  I got the shot yesterday and the injection site is slightly sore today.  NBD though!  GL with your pregnancy.   
  • Options

I took it with DS and it was a breeze. The first few weeks were uncomfortable, but sometimes that can depend on who's giving it. After a while, I got used to it.

Sometimes the injection site can itch, and make sure they alternate sides each week. I did have some extra hormonal periods at the beginning, but overall it was great and helped DS keep cooking until almost 39 weeks.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I was given the shots for my second pregnancy, after my first DD was born at 33w 4d. My second DD was born at 34w 5d. due to PTL (so I got an extra week in the womb).

The nurse that gave me the shot, normally alternated injection sites every other week and I got them in my hip, not my butt. Although once I got it in my butt (my OB gave it to me) and OMG, my butt hurt for days. Basically my sides were sore for a day or two. The injection is really think, so I know the nurse used a smaller needle. I have heard of people icing the injection site, but I never did. 

Good luck.

• Options

Besides itching at the injection site, I didn't have any side effects that I noticed. 

My first DD was born at 35 weeks, so I also received the shots with my second pregnancy. She was born at 37 weeks, so for me it got me to full term. I wish you the best! Good luck! 

imageimage

"When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible"--Harry, When Harry Met Sally

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"