New Jersey Babies

Maternity Leave.. so confused

So you apply for disability and you get a total of 6 weeks.. Do you then apply for FMLA and get an additional 12 (at no pay) or is that running along with disability and you get an additional 6? So confusing!!! I also read something about FLA Family Leave insurance?? Any insight you ladies may have would really help me! My company has been no help..

Re: Maternity Leave.. so confused

• the way it worked for me was:

- FMLA is 12 weeks total job protection
    - short-term disability is part of that 12 weeks
        - 6 weeks paid (8 weeks if c-section)
        - the rest of the 12 weeks is unpaid

so FMLA simply allows you to take up to 12 weeks off and not be in danger of losing your job. after the 12 weeks if you want to take more unpaid time off your employer is allowed to terminate.

one thing i wish i had looked more into - NJ disability. according to my HR i wasn't eligible for more $, but DH has been able to collect NJ disability $ in addition to his short-term disability pay from his employer. 

• NJ makes this so complicated! FMLA is 12 weeks unpaid Job protection. Your 6 weeks of Paid Short Term Disability runs concurrently with FMLA. So the first 6 weeks of FMLA is also your 6 weeks of short term disability. NJ also has Family Leave Insurance, which I am still in the process of applying for. But, I *think* it gives you an addition paid 6 weeks after your short term disability runs out. But I am not entirely sure. This link has NJ leave info: https://www.nj.gov/njparentlink/career/maternity/
  • Loading the player...
  • What sapphire is saying sounds correct.

The first 6 weeks paid disability, you file this when you stop working NOT BEFORE. After these 6 weeks run out you apply for the FMLA Insurance. I went on their site and they had some new rules that took place 1/2013 that work in our favor. Also I believe our jobs are secure longer than 12 weeks. I was told 6 months..But its unpaid and I have to pay my health insurance while Im gone.

I think I will call and try to speak to someone to make sure this is all correct. Their website it a little confusing. And plain english is difficult for me to understand.

GoodLuck

imagesapphire021:
    NJ makes this so complicated! FMLA is 12 weeks unpaid Job protection. Your 6 weeks of Paid Short Term Disability runs concurrently with FMLA. So the first 6 weeks of FMLA is also your 6 weeks of short term disability. NJ also has Family Leave Insurance, which I am still in the process of applying for. But, I *think* it gives you an addition paid 6 weeks after your short term disability runs out. But I am not entirely sure. This link has NJ leave info: https://www.nj.gov/njparentlink/career/maternity/
  • the leave insurance gives you an additional 6 weeks after your std is over, however, at least at my job, you can't apply for it until after your std is over...

i had 8 weeks due to a c-section, and the day before my last day of st i faxed over all the nj leave ins stuff to my hr person and she filed it the day my std was over...

you get paid, but it's not your full salary (at least not at my job) and you get a pre-paid debit card with the money on it...

as for the fmla, not sure how it works with the njfli thing....i was out for a total of 14 weeks and was under fmla the whole time, and really, my hr person said i could take another 6 weeks unpaid under fmla....it might all depend on your company...i would check with your hr person.... 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• You have FMLA/ nj FMLA and the njstd and njfli.

FMLA / njfmla is the job protection and std and fli is the paid benefits.

nj gives up to four weeks before and 6 or 8 weeks after baby is born depending if it is a vagional or c-section.  Fli os additional paid leave for a maximum of additional 6 weeks after std runs out.

fmla starts the first day ur doctor writes you out on leave.  The day your doctor writes u in, njfmla kicks in.  So, lets say u have a vagional brith and take no leave prior to birth, when the doctor says u are cleared at 6 weeks then FMLA and njfmla run concurrently for 6 weeks.  The FMLA stops and nj FMLA you can do for an addiontional 6 weeks, which = a total of 18 weeks, if you choose to take it.  FYI, njfmla gives you a total of 12 weeks every 2 yrs, so if you exhaust the benefit then it's every two yrs and not be like FMLA.  Njfmla is unpaid as well. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"