Birthday Parties
Options

candy buffet for 1st birthday?

I love the idea and look of a candy buffet but what are other ideas instead of candy? i don't really want to fill children with sugar so other than sugar free candy, i'm not sure what to do...

Re: candy buffet for 1st birthday?

• Options

1) Is the candy buffet really for the kids?  How many children are going to be there?  I would think it would be something the adults would enjoy, because 1st birthdays are usually more adults than kids anyway.  (We had a dessert table at my son's first birthday, but really it was the older kids and grown ups who were eating the cake, cookies, and chocolate covered pretzel rods)

2) If you're really having a party for a bunch of one year olds that will be making their own snack plates for some reason, then I would do a "fruit" buffet.  You can have containers filled with different berries, melon balls, etc.

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageblu-eyedwife:

1) Is the candy buffet really for the kids?  How many children are going to be there?  I would think it would be something the adults would enjoy, because 1st birthdays are usually more adults than kids anyway.  (We had a dessert table at my son's first birthday, but really it was the older kids and grown ups who were eating the cake, cookies, and chocolate covered pretzel rods)

2) If you're really having a party for a bunch of one year olds that will be making their own snack plates for some reason, then I would do a "fruit" buffet.  You can have containers filled with different berries, melon balls, etc.

All of this. We did option 1 for all of the stated reasons and I agree that option 2 sounds good for a party with other young children.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I love the candy theme, but not for a one year old.  As a parent, I would be a little more than irritated if my kid came home with a bag of candy and all hyped up.  I would do things like fruit bar, or decorating their own cupcakes with stuff, that way the sweet stuff is kept to a minimum.
  • Options

Gerber apple puffs or strawberry apple or banana puffs.  I like also like Plum Organic Puffs.  That is like the best thing ever for a 1 year old and their friends. 

We actually had to clean up the puffs off the floor at my son's 1st birthday.  So we will probably be doing the same for my daughter's 1st birthday this weekend 

imageimageLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers image BFP on 07/18/08. Miscarriage 07/30/08. BFP 3/25/09. Confirmed second miscarriage, no heartbeat, no growth beyond 7 weeks, 5/19/09. TTC again, on baby aspirin, due to value of 23 on Anticardiolipin Antibodies. BFP 11/15/09. Brown spotting, Beta 3735 11/25/09, Beta 5602 11/28/09. Anticardiolipin Antibodies now negative, still on baby asprin. On 100 mg of Prometrium (progesterone) until 10 weeks. Good heartbeat at 1st appt. 12/16/09. Started taking fish oil. Perigestational hemorrhage and red bleeding 12/17/09. 2nd Ultrasound-8 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/17/09. Baby measured 9 weeks, still a heartbeat 12/23/09. Good NT Scan on 1/8/10, heartbeat 164. EDD 7/28/10. TEAM BLUE! Aidan Thomas born on May 26, 2010. Baby #2, BFP 11/27/11, EDD 6/5/12. TEAM PINK! Noelle Elizabeth born 4/30/12. Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God, Blessing from God.
  • Options
    imagemommytoconnor:
    I love the candy theme, but not for a one year old.nbsp; As a parent, I would be a little more than irritated if my kid came home with a bag of candy and all hyped up.nbsp; I would do things like fruit bar, or decorating their own cupcakes with stuff, that way the sweet stuff is kept to a minimum.

If your kid is one, how would this happen? Maybe my son is developmentally slow, but at one there was no way I was dropping him off at a party unsupervised, nor was he coordinated enough to make a bag of candy at a candy buffet.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

My niece's first birthday had a candy theme, so they had a huge candy buffet, the parents loved it and took home bags of candy (for themselves, not for their kids)

You can also have some diced fruit and puffs for the kids, but seriously, one year old don't eat that much

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Anniversary
  • Options

I'd just do the candy buffet.  I agree with PPs that it is really for the adults and older kids.  My nephew had a chocolate fountain at his first birthday party.  He was the only 1 year old there and he only got a little taste of the chocolate.  The older cousins were gathered around the fountain like they'd struck gold.

If you want a slightly healthier option for the kids you could o goldfish or Annie's bunnies, raisins, yogurt melts, fruit leather.

• Options

imageblu-eyedwife:
    imagemommytoconnor:
    I love the candy theme, but not for a one year old.nbsp; As a parent, I would be a little more than irritated if my kid came home with a bag of candy and all hyped up.nbsp; I would do things like fruit bar, or decorating their own cupcakes with stuff, that way the sweet stuff is kept to a minimum.
    If your kid is one, how would this happen? Maybe my son is developmentally slow, but at one there was no way I was dropping him off at a party unsupervised, nor was he coordinated enough to make a bag of candy at a candy buffet.

Umm.  I never said anything about him being 1, he isn't and I never said I left him unsupervised at anything, because I never have. If you read my post you would see that I was responding to the fact that not all parents feed their kids candy.  most toddlers don't like you taking stuff from them like a bag of anything much less candy.  How do you think your kid would react when he sees all the others getting some bag filled with something and he doesn't get to.  I think the idea is very cute, but not necessarily appropriate for a 1 yr old unless it is for the parents/adults/older kids. You really don't need to get snarky and make comments for which you know nothing about.  You wouldn't like it either.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"