Health & Exercise
Options

Pelvic Pain

I have been a runner before I was pregnant. I'm 23 weeks. So far I've been able to do a 5K race every month no prob as well as running throughout the week.

The last race I did I didn't wear my belly band for support. It was a color run and I didn't want it to get all stained during the race. Afterwards, I had a pelvic heaviness and pain low and midline, right at my symphis pubis. I took a week off running. I did do the elliptical no problem and thought I was good to start running again. 

Unfortunately the pain has persisted. I ran 2.5 miles today with full belly and back support and I was pretty sure someone was ripping my pelvis apart when I was done. It doesn't hurt while I run, just after. To the point where I can't even stand on one leg to get pants on. I am sitting here with ice on my crotch trying to help the pain.

My OB agrees that's its a symphis pubis strain/separation and to do activity as tolerated. Basically the only thing I've found that doesn't strain is the elliptical and the stationary bike.

I'm okay with putting running aside and doing other things for cardio, but has anyone had this before? Does it go away after pregnancy? I am really hoping it's just due to the pressure of the baby and I haven't done any significant damage to my pelvis. 

Sorry it's so long. I suppose I have nothing better to do than ice my pelvis and bump!!

Re: Pelvic Pain

• Options
    I had it during and after pregnancy and its a real b!tch.  I couldn't run because it made me feel in great pain afterwards.  I did find I could use the elliptical or stair master with no problem.  After pregnancy I couldn't do any ab exercises except for the basic crunch and plank.  Anything that moved my pelvis hurt like he!!  That also included those weight machines where you use your legs to bring them in.  It didn't go away after pregnancy.  I actually had to see a chiro for 6 months and PT exercises until it went away.  The adjustments were needed to get the pelvis back to it's original position.  what happens when you are pregnant is the pelvis separates but mine never went back.  I feel your pain, just know you will need to get some help for it or you will always feel it..
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had to stop running because of this during my pregnancy. I stopped at 27 weeks, so close to where you are at. Going to the chiro really helped relieve all the pain from it and I did not have any signs of it after I delivered the baby and started working out again.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards