Natural Birth
Options

Other children at birth, yay or nay

We're having another home birth (Lord willing) and have considered having our two children present at the end. I need to labor without them, but my mom will be coming and will care for them and I thought it would be special and memorable to have them all come in. My son will be 4.5, remembers his sister's birth when he came in soon after, and my daughter will be 2.5. Both have seen births on TV (of course not the same as mom being loud during labor). I have a feeling my mom will caution against it but we've already talked to her about not being bossy when she comes LOL. 

Any thoughts? Anyone have kids there and regret it? Anyone not have kids there and wish they had?

Re: Other children at birth, yay or nay

• Options
    For me personally, I don't want my kids there.  We are doing a hospital birth but they would allow my kids to be there if I wanted.  Part of it is my kids ages, they will both be under 4 when this next one arrives.  For me, going med free requires my full concentration and having my kids there would be a distraction for me.  I am more than happy to wait and have them come visit once we are moved to a postpartum room.  Obviously, this is a totally personal decision though.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    J. was 18 months was A. was born. She was a HB. We had a relative of DH's here to watch J. while I was in labor. I would have been fine if he had been in the room. But he was playing elsewhere. 

The plan is the same when LO3 arrives later this year. We will have someone here to watch J. and A. They can be in the room if they want. Or not. 

I definitely would recommend having someone whose sole job is watching older LO(s). My midwife actually requires that you do have a designated caregiver for other kids.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I've caught babies where siblings have been present. I've had LO's laugh & smile, watch quietly, cry for their mom's, and one ran from the room screaming.

You may be loud, you never know. I say yay if you think you can prepare them as best you can for their age.

I've also seen mom's snap at LO's if they talk or get annoying, no judgies, it just happens sometimes.

TTC since 1/2008
    BFP 7/2009 m/c
    BFP 9/2009 m/c
    Clomid IUI 12/2010, 1/2011, 2/2011 All BFN
    IVF #1 6/2011 BFN, no frosties
    IVF #2 2/2012 BFP
    DD born 10/2012
    FET 9/3/2013 BFN, no more frosties
    IVF # 3 11/3/13 Canceled after retrieval d/t severe OHSS, 3 frosties
    FET #3 2/2014 BFP Twins!
    B/G Twins born 9/2014 at 36w4d

• Options
    I was present, at 2 1/2, when my first brother was born. Mom had all 4 of us naturally. With my sister, birth was in hospital which didn't allow, with youngest brother, we were in birth center down hallway but she delivered so quickly that we didn't make it to the room in time. I'd love to have DD present for this one...she'll be a bit older than I was, but I is both required and I think wise to have an adult to care just for her, and I just had such a good experience last time with just DH, but we'll see. Since we will deliver with MW at hospital, will depend on time of day, etc. I do think knowing I was present for my brothers birth (I don't really remember it expect having been told) made me much more interested in natural birth and ess scared. After all, if it had been horrible, my mom wouldn't have had me there!

• Options

I agree with pp about having a support person there for the your children.  My Aunt had her kids at home and one of my other Aunts came to be the support person for the older two.  They couldn't handle listening to their mother toward the end, so my Aunt took them for a walk and when they returned they had a new little sister.  

I also think it's all about knowing your kids.  My hospital doesn't allow young children, so I know it wouldn't have been an option to have DD there.  But even if it had, I wouldn't have wanted her there.  She's far too sensitive.  We actually requested that my parents not even bring her to the hospital after DS was born because she doesn't like to see us lying down if we are sick, much less see mommy in a hospital after having a baby. 

• Options

We were open to our 19mo DS being at DS2's birth, but I ended up needing all of DH's attention on me and I needed all of my energy in relaxing, so we had him go with my parents off-site. Sweet DS1 did try to help me through my contractions my putting counter-pressure on my back, just like daddy.

Even when my parents came, we thought we might have him come back for the birth, but baby brother wasn't born too much longer after that point.

I will say that the plan if DS1 was present was that my dad was in charge of him. We picked my dad because he has been at several unmedicated births (he's a videographer) and is pretty chill about medical stuff. The sounds and realities of NB can be overwhleming for an adult not used to it because of the bad conditioning from media portrayals of birth. I actually suspect that kids are more chill about it!

• Options
    Mine are 15 months apart.  My son was home while I was giving birth, but my aunt was with him, feeding him dinner, while I gave birth to his brother in my bedroom down the hall.  I wasn't completely opposed to having him there if the circumstances seemed okay, but in the end, I was completely cool as a cucumber UNTIL I had to push.  My water hadn't broken and baby wasn't moving and it caused me to go from calm and serene to...just not...in a short time.  I am glad he wasn't there.  But, one of my favorite things about the home birth was that 10 minutes before I was pushing, I was kissing my boy and reading him a story, and 10 minutes after I gave birth, I was introducing him to his baby brother.  So I am VERY glad he was home...but also very glad he was being cared for in another part of the house :)
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"