Natural Birth

Best Books for Natural

I am a FTM in NYC.  I've been taking pre-natal yoga and am going to a 2 hour workshop with my yoga instructor during which she will give tips for natural childbirth, including breathing, positions, how to stay home as long as possible, etc.  I am delivering at a hospital with an OB that I really like.  But the vast majority of her patients get epidurals and she keeps telling me to "keep an open mind" about interventions and stay home as long as possible.  Luckily I live very close to the hospital. I am keeping an open mind and know that my plans may change.  But my preference is to deliver naturally.  Every single friend I have spoken to thinks I am crazy -- they all had epidurals. 

I am 31 weeks and with my work schedule I really don't any time for natural birth classes, which seem to have many sessions.  So I won't be going to Bradley classes or hypnobirth classes.  There are a couple of general childbirth classes that take place on one weekend day and I may do one of those but it appears that most people opt for epidurals and so these types of classes will only briefly touch upon natural childbirth.  I do have time to read 1 or 2 books between now and when I deliver.  I have been reading reviews on Amazon, which are very mixed, but would like recommendations for the best natural childbirth books for someone who is delivering in the hospital. 

Re: Best Books for Natural

• I would recommend Natural Birth the Bradley Way by Susan McCutcheon.  There is a lot of good info in there even if you don't choose to practice Bradley method fully.  Good Luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagemaymomNY:

imageabell77:
    I would recommend Natural Birth the Bradley Way by Susan McCutcheon.  There is a lot of good info in there even if you don't choose to practice Bradley method fully.  Good Luck!

Ditto.  And Ina May's Guide to Childbirth.  It's filled with positive natural birth stories that will empower you.  In addition there is a lot of thought-provoking and helpful information.

I agree with both of these ladies.  The other book I liked was "A thinking woman's guide to a better birth" by Henci Goer.  It is really aimed at hospital births so it talked about the pros/cons of each intervention and when you may actually need it.  I had a hospital birth with an OB  and I thought this book was really informative.

• Loading the player...
  • Ina May's Guide to Childbirth! I can't even tell you how much I enjoyed this book. It'll leave you feeling empowered, capable, confident, and looking forward to your labour!! It even helped me to come to terms with lingering feelings and questions that I had from my previous two births.
  • Birthing from Within
    TTC since 1/2008
    BFP 7/2009 m/c
    BFP 9/2009 m/c
    Clomid IUI 12/2010, 1/2011, 2/2011 All BFN
    IVF #1 6/2011 BFN, no frosties
    IVF #2 2/2012 BFP
    DD born 10/2012
    FET 9/3/2013 BFN, no more frosties
    IVF # 3 11/3/13 Canceled after retrieval d/t severe OHSS, 3 frosties
    FET #3 2/2014 BFP Twins!
    B/G Twins born 9/2014 at 36w4d