Natural Birth
Options

Personality for natural birth??

While discussing more about our birthplans with OB, for the second time, she mentioned that we have the personality for a natural birth. As confident as I feel after hearing that, it doesn't make sense that my personality may help me accomplish our goal of a natural birth. Has anyone heard this from their doctor or think that this will affect my labor?

Re: Personality for natural birth??

• Options

It's kind of a strange thing to say, but at least it's positive.

There are a variety of motivations and reasons for wanting a med-free birth, so I would say there are a variety of personalities to whom it appeals. 

• Options
    I've never heard it from my midwife, but you must have a strong, confident personality. :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

The lady who teaches our childbirth class told me that last night. The class is just a basic overview of labor and birth that covers all of the viewpoints, but the teacher is a doula and has had five intervention free births. She said that me and my hu

• Options

I'm very independent by nature, to the point of infuriatingly stubborn sometimes, haha.  I do my own background research and counter-research for every decision.  But ultimately that wound up being a good combination for natural birth. <

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Well, when I had my son, I definitely did NOT have the "personality" for natural birth. I think, however, by the time my next baby is ready to be born though, I will.

I think some people might be offended if they were told that they didn't have

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I've never heard of this. 

When I imagine what I think of when I think of someone with a "personality for a natural birth" I sure don't consider myself in that corner! I quit anything physical the moment it gets hard. I don't do well with pa

Anniversary g
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I think in American society, it does take a certain type of personality to desire a natural birth. We are so pampered day to day, with pain meds distributed for a sprained ankle. In places of the world where natural is the only way, women rise to the o

• Options
    imageTheCraftyKoala:

I think in American society, it does take a certain type of personality to desire a natural birth. We are s

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options
    OP, to answer your question, I dunno. I think different women end up going med-free for every different reasons. I'm not at all similar to my SILs, but all three of us have going med-free for our births.
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options
    It's an interesting idea.  We took a Bradley class. Four pregnant women and their partners planning natural births and we were all very similar and got along great.  Having said that, it has to be a general stereotype more than a rule if there's
    photo bffbc5ae-9d71-4881-9c49-419ebb53d956_zps9ce18766.jpg BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Some women walk into my office & know they want an epidural as soon as they hit L&D. Nothing wrong with it if that's what they want. Some women just can not accept the discomforts of pregnancy from the first trimester on. She's saying you aren'

TTC since 1/2008
    BFP 7/2009 m/c
    BFP 9/2009 m/c
    Clomid IUI 12/2010, 1/2011, 2/2011 All BFN
    IVF #1 6/2011 BFN, no frosties
    IVF #2 2/2012 BFP
    DD born 10/2012
    FET 9/3/2013 BFN, no more frosties
    IVF # 3 11/3/13 Canceled after retrieval d/t severe OHSS, 3 frosties
    FET #3 2/2014 BFP Twins!
    B/G Twins born 9/2014 at 36w4d