Natural Birth

Is 2nd Labor really faster than 1st labor??

I've been lurking here for quite a few weeks, I'm due in July and just decided a few weeks ago to go all natural for this labor! (This will be my 2nd)

Quick Note: For my first labor with DS, I had an epidural, thought everything went "fine" since I ended up with a healthy baby boy, but after doing research on epidurals I realized that everything that happened during labor (baby's HR was crazy to where nurses were worried, having to use the vacuum with the last push, and having major latching problems after birth - all side effects from the epidural! My main concern for researching natural was the breastfeeding/latching issue...)

ANYWAY, my first labor: I delivered 10 days early. From first "real" contraction at home (time-able) to baby being born was 9 hours, which I know is pretty average. They broke my water in the hospital. But, I read that epidurals slow labor down - is that true? (Or was that another med that they give along with epidural?) Because, after the epidural they checked me at a 4 (I had progressed from a 2 in a few hours of being there) and told me it would probably be a while. They left the room and 30 min later I was having the major urge to push - Went from a 4 to a 10 in 30 min. (My mom called it - with me, she went from a 2 to a 10 in 45 min - she went natural)

So I'm just wondering if 2nd time labors really do move a lot faster most of the time? And if not having any meds in me this time, will that make it even faster? We live 45 min away from the hospital, so I'm a little nervous. It's funny, you'd think after giving birth once I would know what to expect, but going natural vs. epidural this time is making me realize I really don't know what to expect!

Hopefully this post makes sense and someone can give me some advice! Thanks so much, and I really love reading everyone's posts. I hate that I didn't research labor as much with my first. Just kind of "went with the norm".

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers DSCF3259-1

Re: Is 2nd Labor really faster than 1st labor??

• There are always going to be exceptions and sure, variables such as interventions during labor can make a difference, but to generalize yes, I do think subsequent labors are faster.  My second labor was roughly half the time of my first.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  •  

Mine was much faster, and those of my patients seem to be faster as a norm.  There's always exceptions.

Just want to remind you that an epidural cannot be directly correlated to latching problems.  Hopefully everything will

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • My first labor was medicated but I didn't get the epidural until late in my labor (7 cm). From first contraction to birth was 4.5 hours (6 hours from water breaking). 

My second birth was completely un-medicated and was 3.5 hours from first

• DS1 - born at 42 weeks; 30 hours of labor, 3 hours of pushing.

DS2 - born at 39w3d; labor was 4 hours start to finish.

So, er, yeah. IME second labors are way faster.

• My first labor was 29 hours start to finish and my second was 6 hours start to finish.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Mine was.  My first labor was 40 hours from start to finish.  My second labor was 12 hours...but I also had a couple of nights of on and off contractions before the night I went into labor. 

I do know folks who found their second l

Lilypie - (ZESJ)Lilypie - (QAi1)

• AmyRIAmyRI member

IME, yes.

First labor at 39w3d, 8 hours, 15 minutes of pusing.

Second labor at 40w6d, 5 hours, 7 minutes of pushing, despite baby being frank breech which slowed the process down.

And I'd consider 9 hours for a

#3 Due April 2016
  • With my first I had an epidural and was induced at 40w5d. I was a 4 to start and they broke my water to induce. It took 9 hours from water breaking. I had an epidural at 6 cm and then they had to give pitocin because the epidural did slow my labor. With m
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • First: 8.5 hours. One hour of that was pushing.

Second: 3.75 hours. 4 min of pushing.

So yes my second was definitely faster! :
    Ivy: July 2010  |  Stella: Dec 2012  |  BFP#3: MMC at 11Wk's, July 2017 | Wyatt: April 2019 | BFP#5: Twin Girls due Sept 2020

• Both of my babies were born at 40w3d med-free.  My first was 17.5 hours from start to finish with an hour of pushing.  Second was 5hr10 minutes (2-2.5 hours of 'real' contractions, felt like timeable Braxton Hicks before that) and 2 minutes o

• DS1 was born 8 days early after 6.5 hrs of labor (30 minutes of that was pushing).  

DS2 was born 3 days late after just under 4 hours of labor (1.5 of that was pushing).  He was face up, which made it a lot harder to get him out, other

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"