Nurseries and Baby Gear
Options

Talk to me about carseats! I am clueless!

This is one of the most overwhelming tasks I've had to endure - even after going through the options at BRU. Here's the deal.
We're getting a travel system stroller and the car seat/carrier for those seems to be good up to 22lbs. 
At what weight can they be front facing? I'm asking this because we have a 2008 Ford Escape. I would LIKE to go right from the carrier car seat to an adjustable 3 in 1 car seat (Infant/child/booster). The ones we've looked at like the Diono Radian are MASSIVE and I'm wondering if they'd even fit rear facing in my Escape. Forward facing I think they would be fine. The other thing is they're really pricey. So other recommendations that will see my LO right through to a booster would be fantastic. We're trying to figure out what to put on our registry and this is just SO confusing. I don't want to have to buy multiple car seats because my kiddo has outgrown them.
Help! lol I know it's a lot of questions but this is our first kiddo and I really don't want to screw something as important as this up.
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Talk to me about carseats! I am clueless!

• Options

The recommendation is that you RF until at least age 2.  I think (and don't quote me) that the actual law varies from state to state, some require RFing to age 2, some are age 1 (once again, not positive and I am sure someone else on here can give

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

First off I would not get a travel system with a car seat that goes to 22lbs. If you have a larger baby (I have seen 5 months old at 22lbs) then you need a new car seat then. I would get one that goes up to 30lbsish.

You should be RF until at le

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I am starting to do research on carseats and discovered that Chicco has the travel systems that have the 'baby bucket' that goes to 30 lbs. Seems like you could use that a long time.

I don't know what all would fit as far as t

• Options
    I would suggest waiting on the convertible seat and just get the infant bucket seat to start with. Most children outgrow seats by height before weight so a 22lb limit isn't necessarily a bad thing. Take a look at the CDC growth charts. They chart height t
  • Options

imagecast920:
    Whe you do look at the next seat after the infant bucket don't worry about booster function. Most seats that say they
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

You've gotten some great advice, just going throw in my two cents too :).

1) Don't worry about a travel system per se. Pick a good infant carseat (I had a graco snugride for my first two and they hated it, have a chicco keyfit for my son and he l

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I would wait until baby is getting close to growing out of infant carseat before purchasing a convertible. Not only because of the expiration date, but also because manufacturers are always coming out with 'newer' and 'better' car seats.
  • Options
    imageaubreyalise:

imagecast92
  • Options

Our infant seat only went up to 22 lbs.  DS outgrew it by 9 months.  We RF him until just before 2 in his convertible seat he's in now.  There is no way we could have gone straight to FF at 9 months.

If I ever buy another infant se

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"