Georgia Babies

Moving to Atlanta, need Suburb Recommendations!

Hi Ladies,

My husband was just offered a position in Atlanta (looking at a map it is near Boundary Waters Park area...south of 20, east of 285), and we will be looking to rent a house (will only be in the area about 2 years). Right now I'm just trying to gauge price ranges, ect, but can't really get an idea because I have no idea how far is too far to look (don't want more than a 45 min commute) and  would like a family suburb/neighborhood. 

We are coming from Minneapolis and I'm sure are in for a shock, but would like an area that has some kids activities/parks/etc.I am very sad to leave my mom group and friends and would like to find some places to meet new friends. 

I would love to hear where you would recommend looking or not looking! Thanks! 

IMG_2448
"Be the Lego Lady"

Re: Moving to Atlanta, need Suburb Recommendations!

• Are you a SAHM? How close do you want to live in the city or do you want a sizable house to rent?
    LO #1 Due September 2013 BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagemarypaige11:
    Are you a SAHM? How close do you want to live in the city or do you want a sizable house to rent?
    </BLOCKQUO
    IMG_2448
    "Be the Lego Lady"
  • Loading the player...
  • Douglasville, Lithia Springs, and Mableton are really close to that area and have great reputations for the area. You are still close enough to the city to zip in if you need to (like a 20 min drive) but you are in a more suburban area. 

Be

• Thank you!

So now that I have some numbers to work with, one more question...how much does it cost for heat/ac? I realize this will vary from home to home, but here in MN we only use AC for 2 months of the year, so our electric bill

IMG_2448
    "Be the Lego Lady"
  • Ahh that one I can't help you with... we just moved from NYC 2 months ago, but we lived in Atlanta before. Always in apartments though, never a house. So we are re-learning how much everything costs as well.

Maybe someone else can jump in and ans

• I would highly recommend Smyrna. It is very family friendly. The children's program at the library is fantastic, the community center has some wonderful and reasonably priced programs dance, gymnastics, swim, basketball, etc for kids. Plus, it is very con
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
  • We live in smyrna next to mableton. And I work in mableton and really like both Very nice and close to everything it feels like. We moved from Chicago and rent a house. Chicago is much more expensive then here. I wld say ur budget is good. We actuall
  • Smyrna, Mableton, Vinings are all good areas to look at. 

For gas providers look here  https://www.psc.state.ga.us/gas/pricecard.asp It lists providers and their current rat

BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Also not sure if you are going to be looking for this but there are some very good mother mornings out and preschools at the local churches in Smynra. If you are interested in that I would start looking asap. They fill up fast. 
    BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagemarypaige11:

Douglasville, Lithia Springs, and Mableton are really close to that area and have great reputations for the area.

Lil' G was born April 25, 2008! Big C was born September 28, 2011! Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Good morning, depending on where your husband will be working and the price range, bedrooms and other factors will be top factors. Actually Boundary Waters Park is in Douglasville, Georgia which is west Atlanta off of I-20. If you like, you can send me

• Thank you guys so much for your feedback! This is so overwhelming but looking like we are actually going to take it. We were in this same position a month or so ago about a job offer in NYC and I feel much better about Atlanta. I am actually shocked at

IMG_2448
    "Be the Lego Lady"
  • imagemoorehb:

Good morning, depending on where your husband will be working and the price range, bedrooms and other factors will be

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Have you looked at East Atlanta, Kirkwood, Decatur and Clarkston ? They are on the East side of town and would be closer to your husband's job but not far from the city.
    ~ ~ ~ ~  ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    imageimage
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You might want to look into the Tributary subdivision in Lithia Springs. It is a very family oriented community with a lot of social events and activities. We rented there when we first moved to the Altanta area. Otherwise, we didn't care for the Lit
  • Re: gas bills, we rent a 2,000 sq. ft. house in Marietta and our gas bill in winter has been averaging $130. We use gas for heating and cooking and we keep the thermostat around 67 during day and 70 at night. HTH and good luck!
    Me: 44 DH: 42. DS born healthy at 40 weeks 8/24/09. TTC since then with no luck or ART. Surprise BFP 8/6/14... MMC @ 8 weeks 4 days... Miss you everyday sweet baby angel.
  • LC122LC122 member
    imagelioness13:
    Have you looked at East Atlanta, Kirkwood, Decatur and Clarkston ? They are on the East side of town and would be closer
  • Hello-

My husband and I are actually both teachers in the Douglasville area. We have rented in Douglasville and now own a home in Villa Rica, GA.  We absolutely love the Vil

• We are actually moving to Atlanta as well May 1st from Chicago suburbs. We have a 5 yr old and 4 month old. My husband and I are flying out next weekend to look for a place and will be renting at first as well. Our move is a little more permanent. If we l
  • Take a look at the Brookhaven area... specifically Ashford Park for parks / shops within walking distance.  We have lived here for several years and have three young children. I am very happy that we chose this community.  We attend Buckhead Chu
  • Hello; I JUST joined the bump this morning and hope I'm not too late to join the conversation :-)  I moved from Minneapolis to Atlanta after getting married last summer, and may be able to help a bit.  I'm still not super familiar with Atla
  • Thank you, everyone for your suggestions. We are still waiting on relo benefits to finalize the deal, but it looks like we will be heading down south (and not a moment too soon...I am currently looking out my window at about 6 inches of snow!!!)

IMG_2448
    "Be the Lego Lady"
  • imageLC122:
    imagelioness13:
  • Based on what you are looking for you may look at Vinings or Smyrna. Good reputation, affordable and close to town. If you reconsider and want to stay in town and your kids are NOT school age you may want to look at DuPont Commons. Tons of families, in ac
  • Ps

We love Decatur but it's a horrible commute for you husband and not what you are looking for. You are right though suburbs in Atlanta are not walk able and I can't think of one where you can walk to Starbucks, the park eyc. But some subdivisio

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"