Natural Birth

Need Advice - WWYD? (Long)

Hi ladies - I've lurked on this board for a bit, but finally decided to post because I'm stuck on what to do and need your advice.

I'm a FTM, due in October and want to have a natural birth not only because I know my body can do it, but also because I had to go through IVF to conceive this baby and I really don't want any interventions when delivering him/her. Also, just all the research I've done about unnecessary interventions and c-section rates freaks me out.

I'm currently seeing an OB/GYN and today was the first day that I had mentioned I wanted to have a natural birth and I'm going to be taking Bradley classes. I just wanted to put my feelers out to see what her take would be.

Her response was "Don't be afraid of the epidural and I require you to have an IV. Also, you do realize your birth plan might not go how you want and your expectations might be too high" Ummm, ok. Definitely not the response I was expecting or looking for. I was kind of blindsided by her response. I left the office feeling out of control and frustrated.

I don't know why I'm hesitant to change health care providers, but I HATE calling to transfer records, etc. I just don't like explaining myself as to why I'm doing that. And for normal OB/GYN stuff I still want to go to her, because I really like her and she's really close to my house, but this just rubbed me the wrong way.

I'd love to do a home birth, which I can in my area, but I'm really nervous with it being my first baby and I want to be in a hospital for the first baby. I'm definitely going to do a home birth for #2 and beyond though if I can achieve a natural birth with this baby. 

So my question is, would you switch providers and go see a midwife who would support my natural birth plan and deliver in a hospital or would you stick it out with this practice, get more educated, get a doula and push for your birth plan?

TIA! 

Oct 13 April Siggy: Bunnies
The 33 Most Important Bunny GIFs On The Internet

DS born on 9/30/13 from IVF #1.2!
  Lilypie - (xNS5)

Re: Need Advice - WWYD? (Long)

• Don't stay with a doctor that you feel you'll have to "push for your birth plan". Pushing for what you want while pushing out a baby is not really practical. You have options for supportive care, and you should seek them out. If you prefer a hospital b

• I actually agree with your doctor and a lot of midwives will say the same things, however; only you know the impression your doctor gave and that is a lot more telling than the words.

You need to feel confident in your care giver and not question

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • AmyRIAmyRI member

I would absolutely switch.

Even an IV is an intervention I do not find necessary, and it is non-negotiable with her. I agreed to a hep lock both times, but I did not want IV fluids the whole time that would inflate baby's birth weight and make

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    #3 Due April 2016
  • imagetokenhoser:

Don't stay with a doctor that you feel you'll have to "push for your birth plan". Pushing for what you want while

Lilypie - (xNS5)
  • imageAmyRI:

I would absolutely switch.

Even an IV is an intervention I do not find necessary, and it is non-negotia

Lilypie - (xNS5)
  • kegkeg member
    As someone who switched providers for my second pregnancy/birth, I will say that it makes all the difference in the world to know you're with a provider that supports you and your birth choices 100%.  I was slightly different in that I was a VBAC, bu
    2004-Started TTC; Nov 2007-Lap with endo removed; Jan 2008-Ectopic (mtx); April 2008-IVF #1 (bfp, twin girls); March 2011-FET (cp); June 2012-IVF #2 (bfp, singleton, EDD 3-19-12)

***Twin fraternal girls born at 35w6d in 12/2008***

• My doctor said something similar but prefaced it with, "we are certainly supportive of your goals and will try to do everything possible for you to have a natural birth if that what you wish. That being said..."

I got the impression that I shoul

• I got a very similar response from my OB when I told her I was taking the Bradley classes.  I was a bit upset but I tend to be a straightforward person.  I asked her point blank why she was so negative towards Bradley and natural births.  S
  • I'm glad to hear that you've decided to switch. FWIW, I never had to explain anything to my OB when I switched. The midwives just had me fill out the piece of paper that requested the records and they took care of everything. I didn't have to call and

Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm glad you decided to switch, That was a wise choice.  I think what worries me the most is her saying, "I require an IV".  What the he$$ does that mean?  Provided that you are of sound mind, you can refuse any and all medical intervention
  • I don't necessarily think her sentiment is wrong, but it does sound worrying and you don't want to find out in labour whether your OB really meant, "I just want you to be ok if your birth doesn't pan out as hoped" or if she means, "I'm going to push ev

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Follow your instinct.  I would switch providers.  I switched around 30 weeks with my first pregnancy because I had a very similar experience with my OB.  I didn't feel the need to explain a thing.  I set up the appointment with a midwi
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • You need to switch providers. You don't have to explain why you're leaving, and you can keep going to your current OB after your baby is born. It's definitely worth the awkwardness of leaving vs. having to fight for the birth you want. Good luck!
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Thanks so much ladies for all of your thoughts and responses.

I officially switched providers yesterday and am now with a MW/OB practice that is very pro NB. I have my first appointment with my new MW in a few weeks. 

I'm really happy

Lilypie - (xNS5)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"