Attachment Parenting
Options

AP with family

Just curious: Have any of your family members questioned your style of parenting? I know AP is definitely for my family and we love every aspect of it. My grandmother however (whom I'm very close to) and my FH's parent's and sister think it's kinda weird and always counter my ideas.

Example: When I said I plan to exclusively breast feed, FH's mom and sister said "Oh, you won't be able to keep that up". FH's dad also thinks cloth diapers are weird and they don't trust us co sleeping with baby even though we're both health care professionals and know what we're doing.

Any advice and/or stories to share?

Re: AP with family

• Options
    A few of our family members have told me to put the baby down or to let her cry for a bit because its good for her. I mostly shrug it off with a "oh but she's so little". I think it'll get harder as she gets older. Our Moms get it, and most of our sibling
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I am pregnant now with my first and some family members think its weird that I want to do AP. they think my child will be a spoiled brat and not learn anything. I just chose to not talk to them about parenting. Especially since the way they parent their s
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I regularly spoke with my parents about AP when I was pregnant. My dad's response was "that just sounds like smart parenting to me", so they are all for it.

H has come around a lot. When Dd was little (like, 1 week little) he would refuse to pick

• Options
    The breast feeding and cloth diapering haven't been as much of a disagreement as the gentle disciine approach has been. We mostly keep our opinions to ourselves and parent how we want but I have had a few disagreements with my dad about not spanking even
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I don't think it was labelled as such when I was a baby/child, but I have come to realize I was raised AP... my Mom completely agrees with everything we/I do, especially with the sleeping, not letting her CIO, and the gentle discipline (not that we hav

• Options
    I've received a lot of criticism/negativity for many of my parenting decisions.  Some of it has really bothered me, some was easy to brush off and ignore.  At the end of the day you are the mother and you have to do what feels right.  Your
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Currently going through our second deployment. Can't wait for Zoe to meet her daddy!

• Options
    I always try to shrug off the criticism. No matter what style of parenting you have, someone will have something negative to say about it. My parents were "AP" when I was a baby; they bedshared, my mother continued to nurse me after the age of 1, and I wa
  • Options

imageJayandEmm:
    I always try to shrug off the criticism. No matter what style of parenting you have, someone will have something ne
    5 failed clomid/femara cycles led to injects and IUI = BFP December 2011! Enjoying life with Owen Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    No one in my family agrees with AP and it used to bother me....I felt like I always had to explain myself. But then I just stopped caring. Its like it one day occured to me that DD was MY child and what they said could be taken with a grain of salt. Once
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers imageimage
  • Options

My mom always comments on the cosleeping.  Every time we talk on the phone, "is she sleeping in a crib yet?"

My mom also makes comments about weaning her all the time.  I find this odd, because my mom breastfed me for 8 months and my da

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  
  • Options

I don't think this has anything to do with being AP.  I think every questions how you parent no matter what your parenting style is.  My MIL is always questioning everything my SIL does with her kids and I wouldn't consider my SIL to be AP.&n

• Options

IF I were to share my views with my family, there would be WWIII. Just the CDing and BFing were big enough issues. I haven't spoken to them about parenting since my mom told me that trying to BF and CD was causing my PPD. "You are trying to do too much

image image Visit The Nest!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"