June 2013 Moms

Gestational Diabetes Club

Well, I am part of the GD Club. I went to my appointment today, and she confirmed it! So from here I guess she just wants to treat me with a diet plan. I went and picked up my monitor, and have a class to attend tomorrow- then off to see the dietician.

I have been pretty health conscience this pregnancy, and tend to stay away from sweets(except sometimes I eat dessert) but for the most part I have really eaten healthy. I am only 31 weeks and gained only 5 lbs. (I was overweight pre pregnancy)

I am surprised at how well I am handling being diagnosed with this. I figured it would be pretty hard to change the way I eat, but I am pretty much already there, and know I will have to switch some things up, and watch my portions, so maybe it won't be as bad as at seems, plus its only a few more weeks anyway so not the end of the world.

I am terrified of needles, it's my biggest fear so I am not looking forward to having to prick my finger 4X a day! I am sure that's going to be the biggest adjustment for me, and I hope I can get through it. Maybe I will just get really used to it, and it won't phase me anymore!

So, with that said.....any advice on what kind of foods to eat? Favorite meals, and snacks? I know Dr.'s do things differently for every patient, and I will eventually find foods that work for me, to keep my numbers in check.

Re: Gestational Diabetes Club

• LuthyLuthy member
    I thought I was going to have a lot of trouble with the pricking but it was an easier adjustment than I expected! My big problem right now is that I miss fruit. I can hardly eat any without spiking. I mean, I miss ice cream too, but what I really want is

• Welcome to the club! It's different for everyone with what will cause your sugar to spike i cant have milk or to many carbs in the morning so i mostly eat eggs with sausage and ham. I also eat a lot of cheese and peanut butter for snacks and sweet potatoe
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I was worried about the finger pricking, but it's not that bad and you get used to it quickly.

For me, my doc wants my carbs spread as evenly as possible throught the day with meals being 3 to 5 carb servings and snacks 1 to 2. What works an
    BabyFetus Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Welcome to the club! The hardest part of GD for me is that even when I eat perfectly sometimes my blood sugar just sucks, hormones can really mess with your numbers. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Welcome just doesn't sound right, but not sure what to replace it with.

Like PP said, it will take awhile to figure out what works for you.  I have been trying new things and eating out more, some work some don't.  Don't beat yourself u

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"