Food & Nutrition

Anyone garden?

This is my first year I want to make a valiant effort in starting my own garden.  I really have yet to purchase any materials or tools (we do have a tiller, though).  I need HaLp!1!!!!111!!!

We have two areas formerly gardened from previous owners, but they've been taken over by a little bit of grass, a splash of leftover flowers, and a whole lotta weeds.  

I would like to plant a flower garden in one area and the other dedicated to veggies and herbs.

My ideal veggie garden would have carrots, potatoes, broccoli, tomatoes, and green beans.  I'm not sure what herbs I'd prefer yet.

Can I get some insight on your tool necessities and whether to buy certain veggies in seed versus plant? Also, what plants and flowers do you enjoy planting for low maintenance?

imageimage
Parenting Floozie Brigades official motto:  We welcome to you the board with open legs.  Also, open beers. ~@cinemagoddess

Re: Anyone garden?

• Depending on your area,  you're probably too late for broccoli. That's a winter veggie.  However, kale will grow here even in the hottest months.  Go figure.  Potatoes are also a winter one here, but if you're up North, they can go

BFP#1 4/17/10...EDD 1/6/11...M/C 5/28/10 BFP#2 11/19/10...EDD 8/4/11 Squeaker born 7/30.
  • Thank you!  I'm in Iowa, so we have some primo soil and longer planting season.  I appreciate your input!

imageimage
    Parenting Floozie Brigades official motto:  We welcome to you the board with open legs.  Also, open beers. ~@cinemagoddess

• Loading the player...
  • I grow hot peppers, sweet peppers, basil and rosemary as in large planters.  I buy the plants after the last frost.  We also just moved to a new house with garden areas.  I am taking one for veggies.  I am going to do all of the above
  • M0ONM0ON member

If you're just starting out, I'd recommend getting a combination of seeds & plants. Seeds are fascinating and so satisfying in the long run, but plants let you get right into it. You'll be obsessed in no time!

I use gloves that are cotton at

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Thanks for all of the advice, ladies!  I will be making a visit to a local garden center and consulting with others around.  I am going to ask friends and family if they have any plant overflow to help out.

imageimage

• You can make do with a couple of basic tools.  I never use gloves unless I'm pregnant or I'm doing a lot of digging with a tool.  I've never put something under my knees.  Granted, I often just sit and lean over.  I also prefer to w

BFP#1 4/17/10...EDD 1/6/11...M/C 5/28/10 BFP#2 11/19/10...EDD 8/4/11 Squeaker born 7/30.
  • imageKaren1998:

You can make do with a couple of basic tools.  I never use gloves unless I'm pregnant or I'm doing a lot of di

imageimage

• Lots of good tips so far.

Something to consider is mixing flower and veggies. It cuts down on pests. Google companion planting for a list of what works particularly well together. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"