Food Allergy

stop eating dairy for allergy in BF LO?

Found out LO has a dairy allergy when I mixed formula with his oatmeal cereal at 4 mos old.  Tried it again today now that he is 8 mos old and he still gets hives/ red rash around his face everywhere it touches him.  When I first found out at 4 mos., dr said I didn't need to stop eating dairy so I didn't.  But then over the next few weeks I noticed that the area around his rectum is always red and he's had some trouble gaining weight from the beginning.  I've started eliminating dairy (I ate a ton of it before so this is hard!) from my diet but have been somewhat inconsistent in when I'm not at home.  Sunday I realized I had a pasta salad that had cheese in it after I ate it.  Do you think my dr might be wrong and I should work harder to completely eliminate dairy?  He's never had bloody stools or vomiting so I'm finding it hard to pinpoint symptoms other than the face rash two times.  Thoughts? How would you proceed?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: stop eating dairy for allergy in BF LO?

• Try is for a couple weeks and see if it helps your LO, if not, then enjoy your dairy products =-).  It has to be a couple weeks at least because dairy hangs out in your system that long.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Could it be the oatmeal bothering him?

Does he have any symptoms other than a diaper rash?  Any discomfort while pooping/having gas?  What does his stool look like?

If I were you, I would try to seriously eliminate dairy just for

DD 11/1/12
    DS 7/16/14
    DD Free from FPIES triggers as of 18 months! 
    Sweet potato, avocado, banana, mango, oats, wheat & rice outgrown.
    Dairy, soy, and peanut allergies outgrown! Allergic to eggs.
    DS MSPI, egg allergy
  • Loading the player...
  • It isn't fun, but I too have gone dairy-free for my BF LO.  I have to say, it made all the difference in her personality as well, since her tummy felt better.  I have been dairy-free for 5 months now.  I promise, it does get easier!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"