Phoenix Babies

Moving to Phoenix...

Hi Phoenix parents, I am a soon-to-be new mom in Portland, OR. My husband just got a job in the Phoenix area and we will be moving to Glendale sometime this summer. I'm excited about the move, but I've never been to Arizona in my life. So my question is...what is it like to live in Phoenix? What things do you love most about it, and what things do you find...challenging? What sorts of local resources do you enjoy for your babies and kids? I guess what I'm most curious about is what the overall character of the city is. I've lived in several places--I grew up in Wichita, KS, went to school in Southern California, and have been in Portland for the past 3 years--and every area of the country has had its own distinct personality. Please help me discover Phoenix's!

Re: Moving to Phoenix...

•  Welcome to Phoenix (almost)...I've lived here for eight years and even though I complain at times about it, I really do not think of moving anywhere else. I grew up in Chicago and some things I miss about a "big city" is the diversity. I'm such a

• Hi! I may* be moving to AZ also. DH and I just went to visit and are looking around Scottsdale. He will be working around there if we move. I am also coming from Chicago and scared about missing all the diversity and convenience of everything so close by.

DS 12/15/13

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I moved during the summer (July 5) and honestly it was miserable, but once you feel how great it is in the fall you will not regrette it. The summers are brutal but Chicago has some nasty windy winters and shoveling snow is something that I hated. Scottsd
  • imagekasiamichalik7:
    I moved during the summer (July 5) and honestly it was miserable, but once you feel how great it is in the fal

DS 12/15/13

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks everybody! I'm not entirely sure when we will be moving but I think it will be sometime in the mid-summer (which, yuuuuuuuck.) But I'm so encouraged to see that the fall is very enjoyable. 
  • Hi there, glad to hear you're excited to move to the Phoenix area.  I have lived here my whole life and would never leave.  You mentioned you lived in Southern Cali, Phoenix is very similar (weather and food choice wise, but with no ocean or ear
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Welcome to AZ!

Moving in the summer will be a challenge but I love it here!  Just make sure you crack your car windows and park in shade if you can.... other than the inside of the car being hell, the heat doesn't bother me.

As for the

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Welcome to the Valley!

I also moved here in the summer. The first summer was the hardest. It is best to be here in the spring so you can slowly adjust to the warmer weather... That being said I lived :-) &

• Like pp said, neighborhoods are pretty hit or miss, especially in metro Phoenix. You will drive through a nice area, a decent area, and a not so great area all within three blocks of each other. Definately look up the moms meet up group, it's a great way
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Welcome!! We moved in June and honestly moving out of our Chicago place in 100 degrees and 100% humidity was much worse. It was an adjustment, I am not going to lie. But there are things I love. Everything is easy and convenient. Hardly any traffic at

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"