Parenting after 35
Options

Hitting/pushing

Our 3.5 year old son has taken to hitting and pushing. It's killing me (and my parents who watch him part-time). It's usually in the afternoon/evening when he's grown tired. I've tried timeouts, taking priveleges away, etc. Any tried and true methods you can recommend?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Hitting/pushing

• Options
    You might look into 1-2-3 Magic and/or Love & Logic for ideas- I never really settled one 'method' per se, but read a lot when mine were around that age.  It's challenging for sure! 
  • Options

Mine went through this about a year ago.. fortunately I think it was just a phase.  He'd push other kids down and sit on them. 

When he's naughty now (nearly 3 1/2, too), we make him sit on a barstool in the kitchen for timeout.&nbsp

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Mine is the same age and is going through the same things... hitting/pushing at daycare. So I think part of it is the age alone.

I'm looking into books for him, since he responds well (ie. sharing books) to let him k

Bronx Zoo: Summer 2013

To read my blog, click on the giraffe pic below!
  • Options

We did 1-2-3 Magic and used some Love and Logic.  We timed out.  We tried to explain why it was bad....

It took HER being pushed/hit by other children for it to sink in.  And even then it took us being a bit mean with her when it h

file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • Options

We do timeouts but if this is happening mainly when he's tired have you tried having him take a nap?  And, if naps are a no go, what about "quiet time" each afternoon?  When my kids gave up their naps I often times would still have them just

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"