Maryland Babies

Recommend your carriers

Hi! I had a Bjorn when DD was an infant but now that she is a one year old she doesn't fit! I am looking for a carrier that can do front/side/back carries for a toddler. DD is about 23 lbs now. We are going on a few trips this year where it would be helpful. Please recommend your favorites.

Thanks
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Recommend your carriers

• I have the beco baby carrier, which I used with C starting at 6lbs, and I still use it now. I have the carrier that you can use front facing toward you and back facing. We also have a Kelty hiking backpack that we use on hikes, at the aquarium, etc.

• we love our ergo
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • We have an Ergo that we like, but I have had a Baby Hawk Mei Tai that I ordered a few months ago and we really like it.  MH even carried our 3 year old in it on his back through the park this weekend.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Another vote for the ergo.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I've been kind of intrigued by the Beco lately - but we definitely love our Ergo.
    lovelylittleworld
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP#2 1/12/12 ~ Missed M/C 8w2d
  • So the Ergo is preferred by most over the Bjorn?  Two friends this weekend told me they weren't huge fans of the Bjorn and liked the Ergo better. 

We registered for a Bjorn....but I might switch now.  

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagepssjadey:

So the Ergo is preferred by most over the Bjorn?  Two friends this weekend told me they weren't huge fans of the Bjorn and liked the Ergo better. 

We registered for a Bjorn....but I might switch now.  

the Ergo has a strap that goes around the waist so it distributes weight to your hips.  The Bjorn puts all the weight on your shoulders.  The Ergo is much more comfortable to wear than a Bjorn.  I like the tie carriers better because it's easier to get on (IMO) than the Ergo/Beco clips, which are hard for me to reach around and clip with a front carry.  You also don't need an infant insert for Mei Tai carriers like you do in the Ergo because you can adjust the ties and the hip carry are easier in that too.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Another vote for the Ergo. I love ours but it took practice to get it on and off by myself.  The bjorn was much more uncomfortable but easier to get on and off by myself, which was the one big benefit to it.

I also want to try a beco, maybe with the next baby....

with a Moby you can obviously do all sorts of carries but I'm only so-so at getting that tight enough.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • The ergo definitely takes practice to do it by yourself, but its not too bad once you get it figured out. I've heard the bjorn is crap and is only comfortable until your baby is 12 pounds or so.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Thanks ladies!  Looks like I'm changing the registry when I get home.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageMegcheer2:
    The ergo definitely takes practice to do it by yourself, but its not too bad once you get it figured out. I've heard the bjorn is crap and is only comfortable until your baby is 12 pounds or so.

This.  The Ergo is pretty straightforward once you get it down.  I just leave the back clipped in and clip the sides, loosened quite a bit, before I put it on.  Then I clip it around my waist, pop DS in, and tighten the side straps.  

lovelylittleworld
    BFP#2 1/12/12 ~ Missed M/C 8w2d
  • I love my Ergo. DD is 20 months old and I still wear her in it all the time. I didn't find it difficult or anything to get the hang of, though a back carry can be kind of tricky if you're flying solo.

I have a mei tai as well which I do love but I don't find it as quick and easy as the Ergo. It ties rather than buckles which can be a pain in the butt if you're trying to get it off quickly or need to adjust.

Not only is a Bjorn uncomfy on the wearer, they are also really bad for a baby's posture and their hips. We registered for one originally but when I did a little more research I saw they weren't ideal at all for baby wearing.

I really like the beco and I would love to get one if/when we have another kiddo. It's like an ergo but you can also do a forward facing carry and you also do not need an infant insert like you do with the ergo.
    bumping from my phone. please pardon any typos and missing punctuation
  • imagecamdenfaithful:
    I love my Ergo. DD is 20 months old and I still wear her in it all the time. I didn't find it difficult or anything to get the hang of, though a back carry can be kind of tricky if you're flying solo. I have a mei tai as well which I do love but I don't find it as quick and easy as the Ergo. It ties rather than buckles which can be a pain in the butt if you're trying to get it off quickly or need to adjust. Not only is a Bjorn uncomfy on the wearer, they are also really bad for a baby's posture and their hips. We registered for one originally but when I did a little more research I saw they weren't ideal at all for baby wearing. I really like the beco and I would love to get one if/when we have another kiddo. It's like an ergo but you can also do a forward facing carry and you also do not need an infant insert like you do with the ergo.

I have the beco butterfly 2 which they don't actually discontinued in December 2012 per their website. My carrier only allows you to wear them front facing toward you or back Their is an infant insert as well, which was really easy to use. I had no problem putting C into the carrier when alone. But I definitely highly checking the Beco out.

• I have the Ergo, too and I really like it. I'm also thinking of getting a Kelty-type carrier for hikes. I haven't found the clips to be too much of a pain. I can and have carried DD, who is 27 months in the Ergo, but she is also only about 22 pounds...
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • The Ergo is definitely worth the money.  It's on BabySteals sometimes, so keep an eye out.  I still wear Claire on my back, and she's almost 2!
    Laura & Jim ~ July 10, 2004
    miscarriage on 11/26/09 at 5w6d
  • We have Bjorn that was a hand-me-down (this model does have a waist strap). I only wore DS in it a handful of times and I liked how easy it was to take on and off, but I could definitely see how it would become uncomfortable if I wore him for a long time or if he was bigger (I didn't wear him past 4 months or so). If I end up needing to wear LO#2 more often, I'll probably invest in an Ergo.

BFP#1: 01/10, M/C 6w
    BFP#2: 06/10, M/C 5w
    BFP#3: 09/10, DS born June 1, 2011

BFP#4: 07/12, M/C 5w3d
    BFP#5: 12/12, EDD 08/18/13
    Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: Decorate This
  • ras26ras26 member
    I've only heard good things about the Ergo, and am looking to get one myself.  I will say though, that we had the "performance" Bjorn which has a large lumbar support piece and it was actually comfortable and DD liked being able to face out when she got bigger.  However, I'll also note that DH did most of the carrying, and we didn't really "baby wear."  We used it for travel because we don't take a stroller when we fly.  I can't really comment on more frequent use.  Like OP, the reason I am looking to get the Ergo is because DD has outgrown the Bjorn and I'd like to be able to back-carry her during out summer travel.  In hindsight, we probably would have been as well off with the Ergo exclusively from the beginning. 
    IMG_2304IMG_3206
    Baby Girl #2 is on her way!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imagepssjadey:
    So the Ergo is preferred by most over the Bjorn?nbsp; Two friends this weekend told me they weren't huge fans of the Bjorn and liked the Ergo better.nbsp; We registered for a Bjorn....but I might switch now. nbsp;

We switched the bjorn off our registery in favor of the Ergo.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"