Maryland Babies

Getting DS to Stay In Crib...Crawling Out

So DS is 22 months. On Saturday he discovered he could climb out of his crib. The next day DH lowered it. Early Monday morning (like 4am) he climbed out a few times and each time I put him back in. While I was downstairs he got back out and DH let him stay in our bed to go back to sleep. He did.

Enter last night. He climbed out 10 times within just over an hour of putting him to bed and each time I put him back in his bed and told him to go night-night and to stay. This morning he got up at 5am and came in my room 4 times. I put him back and DH let him stay in the bed once (until I called him the Enabler) and put him back. The final time he got out, I walked him back to his room and tried to get him to open the door (which he refused) then put him in the bed, told him to stay and go to sleep. He stayed in his bed that time, at least until I left. Seems like making him walk back and not carrying him might of done something but I'm not sure.

So my question is....how do I get me kid to stay in his crib?? We can't lower it anymore so that's not an option.

Married to DH 9/9/06 DD arrived 11/10/07 DS arrived 5/26/11

Re: Getting DS to Stay In Crib...Crawling Out

• Have you considered just switching to a toddler bed?  It sounds like he's ready.  Once they're climbing out it's much safer just to have them in a low bed with a safety rail.
    lovelylittleworld
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP#2 1/12/12 ~ Missed M/C 8w2d
  • I think you need to keep doing what you are doing, show him that no matter how many times he gets out, he's going back in.  But him climbing out is dangerous, so it might be time to convert his crib to a bed, or buy a bed with rails, and get some kin
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imageCooper81:
    I think you need to keep doing what you are doing, show him that no matter how many times he gets out, he's going ba
    lovelylittleworld
    BFP#2 1/12/12 ~ Missed M/C 8w2d
  • imageRagdolls:

imageCooper
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Two other options if you aren't ready for the bed route (well maybe only one depending on your crib style) are to put the mattress totally on the floor inside the crib or to turn your crib around. The 2nd may not work, but our crib has a hump on the ba

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If this happened to us (and I'm praying DS holds out at least another month!) I'd toddler-proof the crap out of his room and switch him to a toddler bed/twin bed with rails and secure the door to his room so he couldn't get out. Sounds like it's time!

BFP#1: 01/10, M/C 6w
    BFP#2: 06/10, M/C 5w
    BFP#3: 09/10, DS born June 1, 2011

BFP#4: 07/12, M/C 5w3d
    BFP#5: 12/12, EDD 08/18/13
    Pregnancy Ticker

My Blog: Decorate This
  • PSA - when we switched DD to the toddler bed, she was not happy for several nights.  First night was OK, but the 2nd or 3rd night - there was much, much screaming and then when I finally left she basically took all of the clothes in her dresser out a
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • TNB82TNB82 member

imageKathrynMD:
    PSA - when we switched DD to the toddler bed, she was not happy for several nights.  First night was OK, but t
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"