Military Families
Options

any Ft. Polk families?

We are about to get orders to PCS to Fort Polk. Just wondering if there is anyone on this board who lives there now, or has recently, who might be willing to answer a couple of questions about on-post housing or schools or... whatever.  :)

DD (8), DS (5), DD (3)
baby #4 due March '17!

Re: any Ft. Polk families?

• Options
    Hey! We've just moved from there but were there for 3 years. I would be happy to answer any of your questions :)
  • Options

Oh, thank you! That would be fantastic :)

I guess my first question is just: how did you like it? I've done a lot of reading, so I'm aware that there is not much around post, but it sounds like post itself is pretty nice, with lots of new renovations? Please just tell me it wasn't the worst 3 years ever!

Did you live on post or visit on-post housing, and what are your opinions about the condition of any of the different neighborhoods?

Did you have kids in school there, and if so, how are the schools? I just recently discovered that in Louisiana they still PADDLE kids in public schools (??!!! I am from New England - this is CRAZY to me)... and I need to find out more information about whether this is more of a "technicality" or whether it is actually enforced. It's left me a bit unsettled to say the least, even though I don't expect my 5-year-old daughter to be a discipline problem.  ;)

Anything else I should know about the area?

Thank you so much for any information you can offer! I am excited and apprehensive all at the same time. Fort Polk wasn't exactly on my list of top choices for duty stations... ha!

DD (8), DS (5), DD (3)
    baby #4 due March '17!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

It was most certainly not the worst 3 years of my life. There is not too much to do in the immediate area but if you are willing to travel a bit (hour/ hour and half) you can find kid friendly things to do. They have a splash park on post which is $2 it should be a ton of fun in the summer. The post pools are awesome! Most neighborhoods have them. I lived in North Fort, I loved the area up there. It's mostly quiet. We had a two bedroom townhouse style and that was nice with tons of storage in the laundry room and we had a garage. I don't know much about South fort homes. I do know they have a brand new neighbor hood (Palmeto) and are renovating/re doing/ tearing down a lot of homes. On the note of housing, There are not really a lot of places off post I would suggest living so unless you wanted to rent/buy in a few neighborhoods (James dr. and a few others) I would live on post for sure. 

I actually taught in one of the local schools. Yes they do still paddle in the school system but there is a wavier to sign that says you do not allow them to paddle your child. In my honest opinion (I don't know if you have the money) But i would send my child to the local christian school. Especially, since your child is so young. I do not feel that any of the local schools are up to par with where they should be academically. I am from the North and they (to me) are grossly behind. Once again, Just my opinion.  

Please let me know if you have any other questions! I'd be happy to answer them.  

• Options

Thanks so much for the information! I am not so worried about there not being much to do in the immediate area. With two little kids, they will be plenty happy with the playgrounds, pools, library, etc. And there's always online shopping for things I can't find in town :)

As for schools: I am considering our options, which I consider to be North Polk Elementary or Pickering, depending on which part of which neighborhood we get, or First Assembly or Faith Training. Any feedback - good or bad - about a particular school?

And about the paddling - is that done *often*? And under what type of circumstances? I know I can put it in writing that she not ever be paddled, but I am also just concerned about her witnessing it and/or hearing about it... I just don't want her to be anxious or afraid at school.

Do you know of BJACH's reputation as far as labor and delivery? Thumbs up, thumbs down?

Thank you again!

DD (8), DS (5), DD (3)
    baby #4 due March '17!
  • Options

I think you would be happy at Np or Pickering but I would go for Faith Training personally. I'm not positive on the qualifications needed to teach at first Assembly and know that there was some question as to weather those teachers were certified or not. If you are willing to drive your child to school you can pick whatever public school you would like. You would need to provide transportation to Faith Training no matter what.

Paddling is not done too often... In pickering and NP you will find mostly military families that do not want it to happen so i'm sure it happens there even less often. I know at FT it does not happen at all. I taught second grade and it happened probably once a month. More so in the older grades. They do remove the child from the classroom but they can hear it in the hall way if it is done in the hall way.

BJACHs L&D is great. I left about 28 weeks pregnant. I loved Dr. Flaggherty. She's the person in charge over there. They are very kind and well versed in their knowledge of things.  

I hope all of this helps :) 

• Options
    Thank you so much - it helps a lot! I really appreciate it!
    DD (8), DS (5), DD (3)
    baby #4 due March '17!
  • Options
    Im late to this convo but I lived there for 3 years, had my first 2 babies there. I had fantastic experiences with the obgyns and l&d. I lived on north fort, on Cooley street and it was a newer house at the time (10ish years ago). Not a lot to do but there are flea markets and stuff near deridder that was fun to go to. Pretty much just a Walmart in leesville for shopping. However there is a steakhouse in front of that Walmart that may have the best rolls I've ever eaten and a "seafood" place right down the road that was good too. Most of the mall has been shut down in Alexandria but lake Charles has a mall. Both are about 45 min away. Good luck!!!
  • Options

imagemarrmom4:
    Im late to this convo but I lived there for 3 years, had my first 2 babies there. I had fantastic experiences with the obgyns and l&d. I lived on north fort, on Cooley street and it was a newer house at the time (10ish years ago). Not a lot to do but there are flea markets and stuff near deridder that was fun to go to. Pretty much just a Walmart in leesville for shopping. However there is a steakhouse in front of that Walmart that may have the best rolls I've ever eaten and a "seafood" place right down the road that was good too. Most of the mall has been shut down in Alexandria but lake Charles has a mall. Both are about 45 min away. Good luck!!!

Thanks for the info! :)

DD (8), DS (5), DD (3)
    baby #4 due March '17!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"