Military Families
Options

intro and okinawa

I usually just lurk here, but my husband recently received orders to Okinawa and I was wondering if anyone is currently stationed there and can tell me what its like. We have an 8 month old who will be just shy of a year when we PCS and 2 dogs that we plan on bringing with us as well! My H is a Captain in the Marines and from what I can tell we would rate a 3 bed 2 bath place. He will be on Camp Schwab I think. What is the housing like there, family life??? We will be PCS'ing from D.C. and all of our family lives on the east coast. I guess I am just looking for your experiences there in general! Thanks!

Re: intro and okinawa

• Options
    Welcome! We've never been stationed overseas, so I can't give you my personal experience, but everyone I know who has been at Okinawa loved it. They say it's absolutely beautiful, that the Okinawans are friendly and welcoming to the military, and that l
    Saving money while raising more kids than you bargained for! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I live on Okinawa. This is our 2nd for here and we love it!

We PCSed this summer for our 2nd tour. We traveled with two school aged kids and 2 dogs. I am happy to answer any questions you have. Also there is a Facebook page for USMC Okinawa
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for your input! Moving to Japan seems soooo scary. We were planning on getting out, but when my H emailed his monitor the reply was he already had orders cut! It seems like a once in a lifetime opportunity to live internationally so now we are conf
  • Options
    We do travel but gettin off okinawa is kind of expensive. So we have only been to Tokyo so far. Plus I just had a baby 5 weeks ago which limited our travels.

It really is a once in a lifetime opportunity. I love it. You can't get a more amaz
  • Options
    I lived in Okinawa from the ages of 10 to 14, and also went back to visit about 7 years ago when I was 17. I LOVE Oki and I'd love to go back some day. My stepdad was in the Air Force and stationed at Kadena. As everyone else stated, the island is very ki
  • Options

DH and I are both AD officers.  Spent an assignment at Kadena and LOVED it!  I have nothing more to add that PP's haven't already mentioned. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We just returned from Okinawa.  It is super kid-friendly.  I was stationed with the USMC (although I was Navy) and my husband is USAF so we lived on Kadena.  Great place to live, nice BX and commissary.  There is a big NICU at Camp Fos

Me – 33 (no diagnosis), DH – 41 (MFI)

IVF #1/ICSI 2008 – 22 ER, 21 F, Day 3 transfer (8A and 8B) - BFP, 3 Frosties

Surprise BFP 2010

Surprise BFP 2011

Shipped frosties from TX to VA in 2012

FET #1 May 2013, single blast – BFN

FET #2 August 2013 2 blasts – BFN

IVF #2/ICSI/AH Jan 2014 – 8 ER, 7M, 6 F Day 3 transfer (grade 2 & 3), no frosties - BFP!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"