Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

peanut butter?

When do you plan on introducing peanut butter?

My DD is 13mo. and after talking to her pedi. at her 12mo check up he said that the recommendation has changed and basically its up to the parent of when to introduce it.  Waiting til they are 2 or 3 is actually now not recommended they are now saying the earlier the better.......Who knows!!!!!

I love peanut butter but it scares me to death of her having a bad allergic reaction to it! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: peanut butter?

• We introduced around 11 months as well.  No issues in our family either.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • With DD1 I was a little more cautious. She probably had it around 16-18 months? DD2 had it before age 1. I just watched them closely for a reaction.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • My DH is mildly allergic to nuts and HE gave it to her at 12 months. Just a touch on toast and she was fine. She's had it a few times now and been OK .
  • Thanks Everyone!!  We may try it tomorrow morning!!
  • I introduced it to my LO this week, he turned 1 on Saturday. He loved it and no bad reaction at all.

imageimageimage

<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /> <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

• Mine got food with nuts in it accidentally very early (pad thai from DH's plate). We have no food allergies anywhere in either family so I wasn't overly concerned. Which is good because they love peanut butter.
    Taking the Scenic Route
    FET: Success! Beta at 14dp5dt: 2427 TWINS!!
  • We introduced it at 10 months and DD had absolutely no problems at all. She loves her PB&J. Your pediatrician is correct, waiting to introduce it can actually cause a higher risk of developing an allergy.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers 

BFP #1 6-8-11 EDD 2-19-12. DD born 2-3-12 via induction due to pre-e.
    BFP #2 9-7-13 EDD 5-22-14. It's a GIRL! DD#2 is on her way.
  • We did it at about 11-12 mos with no problems, but we have no family allergies to it. I know one of my friends is waiting because they do. We are definitely waiting on shellfish too because my mom and grandpa has an allergy to that. Maybe if you are worri
  • MisNMisN member
    I have a severe hazelnut allergies so I was realy scared about giving DD peanut butter but I followed our doctor's recommendation and introduced just before DD turned 1 year.  I introduced it a breakfast so I would have lots of time to watch for a re
  • We gave it around 9 or 10 months.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We gave my son shrimp and strawberries at 6 months.  But for some reason peanut butter terrified me!  We waited until his 1 year appointment and I gave it to him while we waited to see the doctor.  I figured the office would have an Epi pen
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • We gave it to her around 9 months.  At our 6 month appointment our pediatrician said we could introduce all foods, except for obvious choking hazards and honey.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We will give DD nuts (and shellfish) when she is 3. Here are my reasons:

1. There are lots of conflicting studies/opinions about when to introduce nuts. Some say it's better to wait, others say it's okay if you don't wait. But, I have never seen

• I should add that it's nuts that are the allergy issue. But, in addition to that, peanut butter itself is a choking hazard because if the texture. 

• We started it at about 10 months and have had no issues.  They love it!
  • Rowan had her first taste of peanut butter when she was about 10 months old, possibly earlier if we count 'kissing daddy right after he ate peanut butter' under 'exposure'. 

Recent studies have found that the age at which you eat peanuts/tre

• My husband is allergic to walnuts, so we are holding off on peanut butter for now. We give her Sunbutter. It's made from sunflower seeds and tastes very similar to regular peanut butter and its not as sticky. She likes it. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"