Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

restaurant behavior

Do you guys have any good tips on how you get your kids to behave in restaurants?

This is our first kid, and she is about 17 mos. She's not horrible (definitely seen worse), but she rarely sits in her high chair the whole meal, so when it's just a few of us, we try to sit in a booth so she can "sit" with us, but she's not really into the booster seat either. I would try to "make her" sit in her high chair, but I really don't want to be "that person" with a crying/screaming baby in the restaurant, ya know, so sometimes I just let her sit with us, which I'm sure is probably a mistake, but I'm not sure what else to do without causing a scene.

She's not really into coloring (well, maybe for like a minute), and sometimes we bring her snacks in, but that doesn't work for long either. I'll try to hold her until our food comes, and sometimes she is ok and will eat after that, but half/most of the time she wants to sit with us or get up (I won't let her walk around, though, which she is fine with but she wants to "do" something - like play with the sugar packets, pull straws out of cups, throw food on the ground or look over the booth behind us/etc). Obviously we can control the food throwing/etc, but she will move onto something else except for eating/sitting!

Any tips/good restaurant-friendly toys/etc?? Or maybe I'm asking too much of her a little too soon to sit still and eat for a while???

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: restaurant behavior

• Options

Personally, we have pretty much stopped eating out.  He is such a wiggle-worm, and rarely sits still through a whole meal at home, let alone waiting for food and then eating. 

But, you can try to make some busy bags or a busy book, o

• Options

I think you may be asking too much. From experience, that's the worst age for restaurants. LOL. If we do go out to eat some of the things we do is we don't put her in the high chair until our food is served. So, she'll 'play' with us in the booth or we

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    MisNMisN member

I have a very active toddler and it is not always easy.   We usually have the most success if we go out for breakfast (we go as soon as she wakes up and don't feed her before so she is interested in food when she gets there).   We b

• Options
    imageLalaMama81:

Breakfast and Lunch are easier than Dinners out. You need to get there at least 45 minute

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    DS does great but we normal know what he's going to get and order it the second we sit down. Everywhere we've gone will accommodate and bring it out very fast. Eating normally keeps him occupied while we order and eat. Otherwise he colors, plays with cars
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker TTC 1 yr, BFP m/c 6weeks IUI #1-8 BFN IVF #1-2 - BFN Laproscopic - clear IVF #3 - BFP!!!!! 12/23 Beta #1-122, 12/29 Beta #2 - 1230, 1/4 Beta #3 8000+
  • Options
    We have had some luck with trains.  He loves his trains, so we'll bring one and that will typically keep him busy.  We also keep books, because he loves those, and one of us might read to him. It is getting harder now though that he doesn't like
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Anniversary
  • Options

We do A LOT of walking around.  I think it helps we're in CA, so we can go outside and he can walk around until food comes, or after he's done eating (with either DH or I - we don't send him out on his own.)

And I always bring snacks with me

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    jshfjshf member
    We've taken the kids out to eat since they were a few months old and they both do a great job overall. I think getting them used to the routine and also they get foods they love so they eat well out. We generally do breakfast or a very early dinner. But i
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options

For the most part--my daughter enjoys coloring and looking at a stack of books. She also loves her flashcards. I do give her "restaurant snacks"--things that she loves, but are only limited to restaurants. 

We try not to do electronic device

My daughter is my hero.
  • Options
    We went through a phase where DD was an angel in restaurants.  She sat still, would eat what we gave her, and get shy when people would come up to us to comment on her great behavior.  THEN she hit about 15 months and it all changed. She started
  • Options

What kind of restaurants are you going to?

Do early dinners at family-friendly places until she gets used to doing whatever it is you want her to do. If you want her to sit in a high chair, then just have her sit in a high chair. If you're worrie

• Options

We go out to eat with DD at least once a week.  We'll go early at 5.  I make sure DD is always hungry when we go out to eat.  I bring toys, coloring books, my cell phone, snacks, milk, etc. for dinners out.  DD is generally entertai

• Options
    imageLalaMama81:

Breakfast and Lunch are easier than Dinners out. You need to get there at least 45 minutes before your child will

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Honestly, it doesn't sound like your daughter's behavior is that bad for her age.  What you are describing is pretty normal for a 17 month old.  My DD is 13 months and we have always, every since she was about 5 months old, had to entertain h

• Options
    imageskibunny59:

Honestly, it doesn't sound like your daughter's behavior is that bad for her age.  What you are describing is

• Options
    DD hasn't had any problems in restaurants yet. Thank god!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

We had an incident just today that made us say we aren't going out to eat again for a looooong time! DD's pancakes came, and they were not what I ordered (they had nuts in them, which she can't have). When she saw them and couldn't have them, they thre

• Options

I take my travel high chair that we use at home when we go out to dinner.  It is the only way that she was stay "confined" and behave appropriately.  It is as if she knows what to expect if we her her in that.  If we try anything else sh

• Options
    DS usually does pretty well at restaurants.  I have a few small books, finger puppets, and crayons in the diaper bag and he only sees those things when we're out.  We play games and he looks at everything not dangerous on the table before the to
  • Options

With DD1, there was a period when we completely stopped eating out because it had become such an ordeal. That was roughly between the 1.5 yr and 2 yr mark.

We haven't hit such a phase with DD2 yet (knock on wood), but we do keep our outings to fa

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

We're just accepting that it is a phase that doesn't include restaurants:) We do go to Noodles and Company and other sit down fast food type places, but no one cares if he is screaming or throwing food there. If we want to go out anywhere decent, we ge

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"