Virginia Babies
Options

We have orders! Virginia bound this summer ;)

Hi ladies.  Thanks for answering my question about where to live in Virginia awhile back. I'll have to try and find that email again.  My husband has orders to the SSN John Warner as of last week.  Are there any other Wives already there for this (soon to be Sub)?

We have a 14 month old baby boy and hope to have our second baby while in Virginia. We were hoping to wait until Virginia to get pregnant, but I'm not sure how that drive across country will be while pregnant.  Either way, it's in God's hands and we can't wait to get a break from the gloom of Washington State. We've been here 7 years and looking forward to more sun.

Any advice you can share about the areas, Sub, Newport News Base, etc would be lovely!

Thank you :) 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: We have orders! Virginia bound this summer ;)

• Options
    We moved to VA Richmond area while I was pregnant with our now 20 month old.

This board is, sadly, super slow :

I know Birth Matters VA has local meetings and the mommy network is active in Richmond. I don't know about the coastal areas though.

Good luck!
    imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers image
  • Options
    Unfortunatly, I don't know much about Newport News. However, You will be close to Williamsburg, very historical and very beautiful, also super family friendly. I'm more familiar to the other side of the tunnel, Norfolk and Virginia Beach. Virginia Beach is a resort town and is overrun in the summer, but has beautiful beaches with lots of family activities during the day basically adults only nightlife. Norfolk is working on cleaning up the city and most especially Ocean View, which used to be a resort, anyway it's just through the tunnel and has great beaches.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hi there! Welcome - in advance! There are tons of great - and not so great - places to live around here and lots to do. I've lived in this area for almost 5 years now. Check school districts on Great Schools or similar - some are good, many not. My DH is on a boat currently in the yards at Newport News so he makes the trek to that area every day. I work in Virginia Beach, so we live in Chesapeake which splits the commute for both of us. The biggest piece of advice about settling in here is that commute times are not what they look like on Mapquest! Bridges, tunnels, and tourists can all wreak havoc on drive time. If you can avoid having to use the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel (known around here as the HRBT) on a daily basis - do. It is backed up every day, and much worse during summer tourist season. The Monitor Merrimac is a much easier commute if you want to live on the Southside (Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Portsmouth, Chesapeake). If you stay on the Peninsula (Hampton, Newport News) just try to avoid needing to use Interstate 64 in your commute, as it's generally stop and go during rush hours. Honestly, I don't complain about the traffic too much as I used to live near DC and this is a cakewalk compared to that! The nice part about the area here is it's a pretty family-friendly lifestyle with lots to see and do. There are lots of great military perks for visiting local attractions and lots of military events for families. Welcome!
    Mom to DS - 9/24/2005 Ectopic Pregnancy - 5/7/2012 Miscarriage - 12/13/2012. Mom to DD - 9/13/2013
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"