Parenting after 35

Placenta Encapsulation?!?

I was just researching various pregnancy and childbirth information online and came across this tidbit:

"Placenta Encapsulation - If you so choose, your placenta can be saved. A professional trained in placenta encapsulation will dry your placenta and grind it up, add herbs, and put it into pill form for mom to take. Placentophagy (the consumption of the placenta) has scores of benefits for new mothers" (source: https://www.drmomma.org/2011/05/what-doulas-do.html).

Hmmm...

I've never heard of such a thing...have you? Have any of you ever done this? If so, what benefits or otherwise did you experience? 

Re: Placenta Encapsulation?!?

• I've heard of it.  It is nothing new, besides it is in pill form.  In many cultures a woman will eat her placenta after giving birth.  It supposedly helps with healing and PPD.

I have not done and won't do it regardless of the benefi

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I haven't done it but I've heard of it. I'm too squeemish to contemplate it.

• Loading the player...
  • Yeah, it's a thing.

I haven't done it but I was really lucky and had the opposite of PPD - I was floating on a cloud of joy and happiness for 6 months.  

If I suffered from PPD I would totally try it. 

~Married 11/08~
    ~TTC since 01/09~
    ~SA & B/W - 06/09 - Normal~
    ~Encouraged by OB to "just keep trying" 06/09 - 06/10 (oh, the wasted time)~
    ~HSG - 08/10 - Clear/Normal~
    ~Lapo - 01/11 - Normal~
    ~Clomid 50mg, Trigger shot, Prometrium - 01/11, 02/11, 03/11~
    ~BFN - 02/11~
    ~IUI #1 03/15/11~
    BFP 3/28/2011
    Diagnosed with GD at 28 weeks. Controlled through diet and exercise. No insulin.
    Diagnosed with Cholestasis of pregnancy @ 36 weeks.
    Delivered via C-section @ 36 weeks on 11/9/11.

TTC#2 for a few months naturally (ha!)
    ~IUI#1, Clomid, Trigger,  10/13 - BFN
    ~IUI#2, Femera, Ovidrel, 11/13

• Yes!  A friend of mine did it and we VERY seriously considered it when my son was born 2.5 yrs ago.  Depression runs in my family and I was very concerned about PPD.  Placenta capsules are supposed to allow you to continue receiving the

• I had PPD with DS2 and milk supply issues with both kids. I will be having my 3rd c/s so I am ecapsulating my placenta in the hopes that it will help with both issues as well as keeping my energy up after surgery.
    **Baby #3 is on the way!**
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageshelley1002:
    I've heard of it.  It is nothing new, besides it is in pill form.  In many cultures a woman will eat he
    Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• I didn't have depression after Ds was born, but I encapsulated my placenta after Dd anyway. My milk supply has been way better, I've had no hair loss, and it helped with the hormones the 1st couple weeks. I would totally recommend it.

Btw, in cap

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

It takes a special amount of bitch to induce menstruation in another person. - LovelyRitaMeterMaid

Rap Roller
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"