Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Drug Testing - Daycare Employees

Ladies,

Do you know if most daycare centers require drug testing of their teachers?

I toured/interviewed a center for the first time last week and asked the director about this. Her response: "Well, now that marijuana is legal in Colorado I cannot require drug testing." I wasn't just talking about marijuana however, and I let her know.  She acted like I was being really uptight.

Does this seem off? I have no idea what is standard but this makes me uncomfortable. My son is 18 mos old and has been in an in-home daycare all along (you guys helped me a few weeks back thinking through that situation).  

Thank you!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Drug Testing - Daycare Employees

• Options

Yes they do.  I know our's also does a regular required background check, and then a supplemental one as well.  

That does seem weird.  because a drug test would tell you if it were marijuana or some other illegal narcotic, so

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Anniversary
  • Options
    I've worked for several daycares and while I have gone through the normal background check - child abuse, FBI clearances, fingerprinting, etc, I have never been drug tested.  I live in Pennsylvania.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker photo c15e5de6-d798-4a98-9644-9987af04720b_zpsa920caa6.jpg
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imagecbmp06:
    I've worked for several daycares and while I have gone through the normal background check - child abuse, FBI clearanc
    Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

imagecbmp06:
    I've worked for several daycares and while I have gone through the normal background check - child abuse, FBI clearanc

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I've been background checked, never drug tested.
  • Options

Even though it is legal - it doesn't mean an employer cannot require a pre-employment drug test - that wasn't outlawed. Of course it's going to get a little hairy with the recreational legalization.  So what were they doing before recreational use

• Options
    imageXtine22:

imagecbmp06:</s
  • Options
    My sister has worked at several very good day cares in Texas and has never been drug tested, though she has gone through background testing. I am almost ashamed to say that it didn't occur to me to ask until you brought this up. I think it is reasonab

\image  image

• Options
    I was offered a job (which I declined anyways) in MD for the Goddard School. I was offered it the same day I interviewed, so clearly there was no big background check done. I wasn't asked to do a drug test either. Considering what they wanted to charge fo
  • Options
    I live in CO too and have worked around kids for 10+ yrs, including residential treatment, schools, and child care.... and I've never been drug tested anywhere....except for a job at Walgreens. 

BFP: 7/5/10   EDD: 3/13/11  Miscarriage 8/1/10 at 8 weeks

BFP: 10/30/10   EDD: 7/7/11   Born 7/11//11 7lb12oz, 20 in.

BFP: 7/30/13  EDD: 4/9/14 Born right on time on his due date! 8lb10oz, 21.5 in.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Awesome prophetic fortune cookie: Love is a present that can be given every single day you live

• Options
    Thank you all so much for your replies. It doesn't sound like it's the norm to test. Stating the obvious here, but gosh it's nervewracking to be a parent!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I work at an awesome child development center in CA. I was not drug tested but my hiring papers said they reserved the right to test me if they felt it was warranted, which I think is totally fair.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"