Special Needs

Joint Compressions

Is there any sort of age restrictions on doing joint compressions?

I have a 14 month old that, like his two brothers with autism, seems to have a high level of sensory needs. The biggest thing is that he seems to be seeking a lot of deep pressure input and needs lots of movement.  He crashes, pushes his body into mine when I am holding him, head bangs, bites things and bonks himself in the head with toys. In additon, he is always on the move and will bring us to the swing, excercise ball or crash pit down in our basement often throughout the day.

He does not get any services at this based. Based on what we have learned from our other two, we have put together a bit of a sensory diet for him. We swing him several times per day, he gets crashes, we bounce and roll on the excercise ball, we do burrito wraps in blankets, play tug of war with chewies and just generally give him lots of opportunities for movement.

His head banging seems to be on the increase and is to the point where he is bruising his forehead from doing it so hard.  I started doing joint compressions, as I was trained when we did Wilbarger brushing with my middle child.  He really loves it and seems to respond well.  However, I am wondering at his age if there could be any harm to his joints.  I am not finding any solid information online. Any thoughts?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Re: Joint Compressions

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"