Pre-School and Daycare

I want to rein in my primadonna

She is nearly 4.  Definitely a pretty little girlygirl.  Dresses herself coordinating everything.  She actually does a fantastic job pulling together cute outfits with colors/patterns... I am very impressed. 

My concern is she is so obsessed with "what everyone will think."  THis morning her quote: "Mom, I am prettier and fancier than all my friends and all of their friends, too."  She constantly asks if she looks beautiful, a princess or whatever. 

We do compliment her at times on looking pretty, but 300 times more, we focus on narrating things they do "Oh look- both your shirt and skirt have green on them, " and even more we focus on kindness.  I am trying to say "Yes, you look pretty, but more importantly..."  or " I'm sure you'll friends will notice ____, but how you act.... 

It is getting to be too much.  If it is WHO she is, I can lighten up, but I do NOT want to continue down a road where she can't have a thought without wondering what everyone will think... I don't know.   thoughts on this obsession?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: I want to rein in my primadonna

• Does she watch a lot of princess movies?  sometimes I think they put unrealistic ideas in girls minds.  

Robert Munsch wrote a book called "paper bag princess" which is for kids and has message about what is important.  Maybe look

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageKKDRAGONFLY:

Does she watch a lot of princess movies?  sometimes I think they put unrealistic ideas in girls minds. &nbsp

• Loading the player...
  • I would try to curtail any talk of appearances and clothes. With my 3 year old girls, I am constantly trying to give them adjectives to describe themselves without using pretty, cute or nice (I once read a study that found a majority of little girls co

• I just realized I didn't answer your question, when she says she's worried about what other people thing, I would try to assist her in returning the focus to her. E.g. "It doesn't matter what others think. Do YOU Like it?" or "It doesn't matter what other
  • THanks all. I t really gives her so much joy. I am a tomboy- chucks, jeans, tee. A thermal under the tee if it's cold. I don't wear make up. Her sister is a tomboy, keeps her hair short because she can't be bothered to brush it. We watch no prin
  • My initial thought was, is this just her way of finding her where she fits in? Like maybe she thinks she is just average and this is her area to shine?  But then after reading your second post I am wondering if she is too 'sheltered'.  At my DD1
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
                             Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imagela79al:
    My initial thought was, is this just her way of finding her where she fits in? Like maybe she thinks she is just avera
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"