Pittsburgh Babies
Options

Preschool, daycare, or tutor?

My 4 1/2 year old niece is developmentally behind socially and educationally. She doesn't know her ABCs yet and doesn't play well with other kids but she's good with adultsalbeit stubborn. I work for a portrait studio so I'm always around kids and it breaks my heart to see her so far behind by comparison to all of these other children.

Due to strange circumstances she may be coming to my husband and I for care at least temporarily couple of months to a year. So I'm wondering, if anyone has any suggestions as to whether or not she should be enrolled as quickly as possible in preschool or daycare and if so can anyone recommend a good one where she'd get good personal attention to help her catch up? or possibly tutored for the summer or even the next year to get ready for kindergarden?

The whole family is West Hills area/Beaver county, but if she ends up in my care I would drive wherever necessary within reason to get her back up to speed.

Even if I don't become her guardian, I'd appreciate the advice as it seems no one else is doing their research and I'd like to bring some info to the table for my inlaws.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Preschool, daycare, or tutor?

• Options
    I would get in touch wih the school district. Some have a head start program that will come to you and do one in one with her. It doesn't hurt to call and ask. Or they might be able to point you in the correct direction.
  • Options

I second the above poster.  I'm a former kinder teacher (I stay home now).  If she has been formally tested for developmental delays, services are available for her. They start at age 3.

Good place to start would be info from her

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Developmentally was a poor choice of word.  I was trying to post quickly before I punched into work and didn't proofread myself well enough.  I apologize.  Granted, I don't think she's been to the pediatrician in years either.

She'

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"