Baby Showers
Options

Awkward shower dilemma...

I am pregnant with my 4th girl. I had a shower with my first and turned down a shower for the twins. Last summer, we moved across the country due to MH's job. His boss is insisting that they are going to throw a shower for me at his office (he is a professor at a University). I begged him to decline the shower, and he said he tried, but his boss isn't budging. I feel SO awkward because not only do I not know most of these people, but the boss is throwing it, so I worry that they will feel like they are required to get me a gift. I have no idea what to do.

The only solution I have come up with so far is to pretend that I am on strict bed rest and unable to leave the house to attend a shower (and hope that if we can avoid the subject long enough, she will forget about it and move on). MH is in a tough spot politically, and he doesn't know what to do. Suggestions?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Awkward shower dilemma...

• Options
    Say thank you for them being so thoughtful but you don't need anything and wouldn't feel comfortable with it. Just keep declining. No one can force you to do anything. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    because it didn't fucking snow enough for me to build my own
  • Options
    imageatlb:

I am pregnant with my 4th girl. I had a shower with my first and turned down a shower for the twins. Last summer

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    atlbatlb member
    imageKdgTeacher:
    imageatlb:</str
  • Options
    atlbatlb member

imagejackson290721:
    Say thank you for them being so thoughtful but you don't need anything and wouldn't feel comfortable with it. J
  • Options
    imageatlb:

imagejackson290721
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    because it didn't fucking snow enough for me to build my own
  • Options
    So you think the best thing to do is lie and make up medical complications to avoid a party? That is a horrible idea. For so many reasons.

You could keep delaying, and say that you can't make it on any given day. Or, you could accept that th
  • Options
    atlbatlb member

imageBeckyTheEngineer:
    So you think the best thing to do is lie and make up medical complications to avoid a party? That is a horri
  • Options
    While it may be awkward, it also would give you a chance to get to know some of his coworkers. Itscalways awkward until then.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

• Options
    imageatlb:

imageBeckyTheEngineer:
  • Options
    Just accept it. I get the awkwardness, but just accept it.
    "Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options

I think the fake medical excuse is a terrible idea, just bad vibes in general, but God forbid you get caught lying, wayyyyy awkward, potential for a lot of hurt feelings, confusion, anger, general weirdness

I think y

• Options
    atlbatlb member
    Thanks, ladies. I will get over it and accept. It really is super nice of them to do, especially since we don't know anyone here. I know she just wants me to feel loved and I am appreciative of that.
  • Options

Accept the shower.  Anything you receive that you don't want/need can either be returned or donated to a children's shelter. 

If this woman who is throwing the shower in charge of whether or not YH's job is long term or not, then let h

M/C April 2005
    M/C July 2006
    BFP 9/28/12
    M/C 10/9/12
    10/30/12 diagnosed with Lupus Anticoagulation
    TTC again 3/11/13
    BFP 5/23/13!! Due Jan 29 with twin boys!

October Siggy Challenge ~ Baby Hitler

• Options
    I would just accept it. I understand why you would feel awkward, but it is nice of her to offer. Plus, it will give you a chance to get to know her and your husband's coworkers better. I'm sure it's not going to be a huge production, so I'd just go with t
  • Options

imageEastCoastBride:
    Just accept it. I get the awkwardness, but just accept it.

this. At my s

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I would just be honest. Maybe you can write an email to his boss and tell him you already have 3 young children, and your set with everything. Tell him if he wants to get you a gift, he can, but other co workers shouldn't be forced with buying you a gift
    Siggy Challenge- Valentines Day FAIL Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Just go with it. It's polite of you to want to decline but if she wants to throw it its probably going to happen regardless! It's not like you have to do a registry so you will probably just get some cute clothes and diapers or something. Things you can n
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

<3 Mama to 2 girls - H&I <3
  • Options

imageBeckyTheEngineer:
    So you think the best thing to do is lie and make up medical complications to avoid a party? That is a horri
    Working, Breastfeeding, Unmedicated Birthing Mother of Two.
  • Options

imageBeckyTheEngineer:
    Pregnancy Ticker Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"