Attachment Parenting

Will a 2-week work trip ruin my relationship with LO?

I'm not sure I've ever posted on this board before, but I lurk a lot and really love what I learn from you all. I consider myself AP, but I'm not an expert by any means and I'm looking for some input.

Anyway, so like the title says, I'm supposed to go on a 2-week work trip in August and my DS will only be 21 months old at the time. I work from home for a travel company and I am supposed to lead a group I have put together. I used to go for 1-2 months at a time before DS came along, so it's technically not a lot for the company to ask of me. I was originally planning to bring DH and DS along, but I would have to pay for them and it's just too expensive. Currently, DS and I have an absolutely wonderful relationship. I'm sure we will have our challenging moments down the road, but right now he's pretty much happy 100% of the time, very loving and cuddly, and everything to me. The only problem is that he is extremely attached to me compared to DH as poor DH has to travel Monday through Thursday every single week, so DS only sees him on weekends. They are close, but more in a fun way than a nurturing way. I am currently still nursing twice a day, and I have not spent the night away from him yet at all.

My question is: how detrimental will this work trip be to our relationship? 2 weeks seems like ages for such a young child. I'm honestly scared that he will not remember who I am. I'm also scared that he will not "need" me anymore and that aspect of our relationship will be changed forever. Right now, I love that cuddles from me solve every problem and I am worried that I will lose that touch. Has anyone else been in my position? Can anyone point me to any information about the effect my absence will have on him? Will he be harmed by this? Maybe I'm a worrywart spaz, but I can't help dwelling on it.

BabyFetus Ticker
It's a BOY!

CafeMom Tickers

Re: Will a 2-week work trip ruin my relationship with LO?

• First, you are WAY over thinking this. BIG time. Its not that serious. ESPECIALLY because he is so young. Geesh you sound like you're referring to a SO rather than a DS lol. Calm down crazy mama.. youll go on your trip, come back and things will be jus

• Confused to above post.  PP, I think you are on the wrong board.

OP, I felt similiar about leaving my 27 month old just overnight while I had newbie!  It's soo

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • He'll be fine I promise.  I've left DD several times since she was born and always come back to a wonderful smile and a very loud and happy shout of "Mama!"  I left DD the first time for 5 days when she was 12 weeks roughly for a mandatory wo

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imagenumeria11:
    .  The one thing we learned the hard way and this is going to sound terrible, DON'T Skype or video chat with t
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagenmpg15235:
    PS. please dont be one of those moms who nurses her child for an extended period of time. You strike me as the type who
    imageimage
  • imagenmpg15235:

PS. please dont be one of those moms who nurses her child for an extended period of time. You strike me as the type

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thank you so much everyone for your thoughtful replies (except for that one wackadoo who is clearly on the wrong board - I'm not sure how currently nursing a 17-month old became my being an insecure, overly emotional mother of a 4-year-old). I know I

BabyFetus Ticker
    It's a BOY!

CafeMom Tickers
  • I have to agree with the PP about your LO MAY self wean in that long of a period gone.  I left my first son for 5 days at 22 months.  I had initially decided to wean at that point, but on my trip I changed my mind...oh the engorgement and discom
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • two weeks is a long time, but what can you do? You can't not go, right?

I have been away from my kids a lot (I'm actually not at all in the mindset that you shouldn't leave your kids - I've been away nights and weekends and a few week vacations,

"Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies. God damn it, you've got to be kind." - Kurt Vonnegut
  • You need to chill.

Your son will miss you but it absolutely will in no way "ruin" your relationship.  No, he won't forget you (sorry, but this is a little eye roll worthy).

My husband deployed when my kids were 6 and 22 months old.&nbs

Married 6/28/03

Kate ~ 7/3/09 *** Connor ~ 11/11/10

4 miscarriages: 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014

*~*~*~*~*

No more TTC for us. We are done, and at peace, as a family of 4.

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but – I hope – into a better shape.” — Charles Dickens

• imagepitterpatter129:

imagenu

Married 6/28/03

Kate ~ 7/3/09 *** Connor ~ 11/11/10

4 miscarriages: 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014

*~*~*~*~*

No more TTC for us. We are done, and at peace, as a family of 4.

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but – I hope – into a better shape.” — Charles Dickens

• Yeah, my DH is away for the Army for a year and we Skype all the time. DS LOVES it!! Also, I had to leave him for 9 days with Nana and he was fine and right back to nursing, so that part could go either way....you won't know until you go.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I work full time. My DD has been in daycare since she was 8 weeks old. She knows who her mom is. You guys will be fine.

Ditto PPs that mentioned Skype. I know this helps a lot of people who have to be away from their children for a little while.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • When DS was 21 months we were still nursing throughout the day/night and I went away from 6 days. He did well while I was gone and when I got back everything went right back to normal.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I did exactly that: Left DD with grandma for a week and a half when she was almost 2 years old. I understand your concern about your relationship but this is really nothing in the long run. These days I leave DD for a week-10 days on a regular basis an

Single mom of DD (2010), TTC #2 since June 2013.
    Occasionally I'm blogging about my life with flybaby.
  • imageLouiseB2001:

I did exactly that: Left DD with grandma for a week and a half when she was almost 2 years old. I understand your

BabyFetus Ticker
    It's a BOY!

CafeMom Tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"