Pregnant after 35

Advanced Maternal Age definition?

Hello,

I haven't posted here yet as I'm not quite 35, but hope its OK for me to ask a question anyway. I will be 35 in about 6 months. I am pregnant with my second baby and my EDD is 11/22.

My question is, is AMA based on how old you are when becoming pregnant or how old you will be when due? I am 34 now but will turn 35 this fall, about a month and a half prior to my EDD. I have been reading your posts about the MaterniT testing and am very interested in it...but it sounds like it may only be available to those that are medically considered of AMA. I had the NT scan/bloodwork last time at 12 weeks and got some really scary bloodwork odds back and ended up getting an amnio at 16 weeks. I would love to sooner this time what is going on.

Thanks so much. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Advanced Maternal Age definition?

• AMA is 35 at delivery. I don't think maternit21 is only for AMA though. If you are trying to get insurance coverage for it that might be a factor. There is another post here about how they are not discounting the cost anymore and it's quite expensive
    TTC since Dec. 2010. Me: 37, DH: 38...unexplained RPL
    BFP #1 - missed m/c 4.18.11 found @8w3d, d&c @13w 
    BFP #2 blighted ovum found 8.2011 @8w, misoprostol
    BFP#3 - missed m/c 6.11.12 @ 9w3d, d&c revealed extra chromosome 15
    BFP#4 8.10.12, DD born 4/26/13
  • I agree with PP.  Things like the odds for Downs etc. are all based upon your age at delivery, not conception.  I'll be turning 43 two weeks before LO is born....so it increased my odds quite a bit.

**DD1 - 7/9/98**

**DS - 11/9/00**

**DD2 - 4/30/13**

• Loading the player...
  • Most docs consider you AMA only if you will be 35 at the time of delivery.  So you would not be considered AMA.  You can still get the MaterniT21 test, but your (young!) age might affect whether your insurance company would cover it for you.

Me - 38 DH - 38 DD - 2 pregnancy
  • I haven't been treated as high risk or AMA at all, and I was 36 at conception, will be 37 at delivery... She asked me a bunch of questions early on (and had been treating me for infertility before hand for about 2 years), but she ended up saying she wa

• Thanks ladies :) A friend of mine who is the exact same age as me and due around the same time just got told by her doc their practice recommends the testing to everyone who will be 35 at delivery and that the company is only charging $150 to get its name
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Ditto PP's - 35 at time of delivery. I conceived DS1 right around my 35th birthday do clung to the whole "but I was 34 when he was conceived!!!" thing, but I was always AMA.

::shrugs::

• I believe AMA is 35 or older at the time of delivery.

I was told the discounted cost for MaterniT21 ended at the end of March 2013; however, it is still an excellent option for a screening test as opposed to the more invasive amniocentesis or CVS

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"