November 2012 Moms

Would it be rude if ...

Mobile: "Would it be rude if..."

So, I'm going to a bridal shower this weekend for a friend from college. My DH and I are friendly with her fiancee, too.  His father passed away about two months ago, he had terminal cancer but his passing was much sooner than expected.  We didn't attend the memorial service or funeral. We did send a sympathy card to the fiancee.

I've never met the fiancee's mother, for clarity's sake, she's the recent widow. If/When we're introduced at the shower, is it rude for me to just not mention her late husband's passing? I know it would be polite and acceptable to say something like, "it's so nice to meet you, I'm sorry for your loss."

But, I feel like that's awkward because we've never met before, and it's at her future daughter in law's bridal shower and that just seems like an inappropriate place to bring it up. What do you think?

One more thing, she definitely knows that everyone at the shower knows that he passed away because the invitation for the wedding included an invitation to a memorial prayer service for him the morning before the wedding.

"A new baby is like the beginning of all things--wonder, hope, a dream of possibilities."

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Would it be rude if ...

• MaebbMaebb member
    I was going to just say maybe it's best to not bring it up to keep the event focused on the happy shower. But then when you said the wedding invitation included something about a memorial, that changed my mind. If the bride and her mother think it's ok
  • imageMaebb:
    I was going to just say maybe it's best to not bring it up to keep the event focused on the happy shower. But then when

"A new baby is like the beginning of all things--wonder, hope, a dream of possibilities."

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I'd say leave it be, since you didnt know them personally. I know it just brings it back for me when people say something about my brother and he's been gone eight yrs now. Keep it a happy occasion. You can always feel it out in the moment though.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I wouldn't say anything. But if you do I'd say it off to the side after meeting. Like after things are winding down a simple, 'I'm so sorry to hear about your loss' isn't out of taste. Maybe ecen add that you think the prayer service is a sweet idea or so
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • zmosszmoss member

I would say something like "I'm sorry for your loss, or I was sorry to hear about your loss," or even say that you will see her at the service honoring her H.

In my experience, while awkward, most people like to hear that you are thinking of the

imageimage"Image">image"Image">image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"