Natural Birth

Water Breaking Question

I have heard a lot of women say that once your water breaks things really intensify.  My question is, how much stronger do you feel the contractions after?  I know it's hard to quantify, but are we talking a 3 to a 8 on a pain scale, more/less?  Just curious because with both of my babies my CNM broke my water right before crowning, so I did all of my laboring and most of my pushing with my bag intact.  I know everyone is different, but I'm just wondering how much harder it would have been had my bags gone earlier in labor? 

Re: Water Breaking Question

• I wonder the same thing -  I think my intact waters saved me from having TERRIBLE back labour with my OP baby. It was hard, but it doesn't seem like it was AS hard as other women that had the same kind of malpositioned baby.
  • I only have the one birth, but my contractions early on were just mild cramping, so mild that I refused to time them because there was no way that I was in labor. Almost immediately after my water broke, I was having to lean on things (walls, dressers, de
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BFP: 12/20/13 EDD: 08/23/14 (discovered m/c at 8w5d)
    BFP: 09/22/14 EDD: 06/06/15 (hoping for our rainbow)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageNoeliaV:
    I only have the one birth, but my contractions early on were just mild cramping, so mild that I refused to time them
  • I gave the OK to break my water at 9.5cm and said no at 8cm.  I said no because I was scared of how much more intense it might get but when the DR broke it I felt better.  It relieved some pressure.  Next time around if things go the sam

• I don't have experience but just talked with my doula about her home water births. The only time during labor she would even describe as painful was the hour or so of labor after AROM. She stalls for a long time at 4cms and then once her water was broken,
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • With my 1st, labor started when my water had a slow leak. Contractions were at most a 3-4 before my bag fully broke. I was able to stay in bed hooked up to monitors with no problem. It broke during an internal at 8cm. I had an exorcist style contractio

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

It takes a special amount of bitch to induce menstruation in another person. - LovelyRitaMeterMaid

Rap Roller
  • I had a rupture up high which started my labor.  The contractions were not to bad and I was able to deal with them.  My water completely broke when I arrived at the hospital, I was at 6 cm.  Things intensified a lot and I progressed very qu
  • imagerochella:
    My labor began with my water breaking, so I'm not sure if I am any help.nbsp; It gushed outnbsp;and the contractions I ha
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think 3 to 8 would be about right for me. I was having contractions all night that were timeable and increased in intensity but I was always able to talk through them and even dosed off a few times. When my water broke in the morning it was definitely v

• Both of my labors started with my water breaking but contractions didn't start until 1-1.5 hours later. But once contractions did start they were already 7-8 on the intensity scale from the get-go. I never had the small, cramp like contractions leading up
  • I like to think of it like a hippo in a pond. Lol. Hippos bounce around in water as if they are weightless, but once they get out of the water they weigh TONS. and that's what it feels like on your cervix. Hahaha. At least that's how it was for me. 
  • My water broke.  Then NOTHING.  Nothing for 8 hours until they started pit.  
    BabyFruit Ticker image image
         Big M 7/11/11
          Little M 6/16/2013
                    Angel baby 5/17/2014          
  • imagesschwege:
    I have heard a lot of women say that once your water breaks things really intensify. nbsp;My question is, how much strong
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

• AmyRIAmyRI member

With my first, the OB broke the bag at 8cm. The bag had been bulging and I had felt a LOT of pressure before she did it. The next contraction hit, and it was awful. A 10 for sure, but I'd say I was at a 7 before that anyway. That one contraction dilate

#3 Due April 2016
  • With #1, my water broke on its own while I was in the tub.  I was about 6-7cm at the time.  I distinctly remember the nurse telling me that "things are going to get more intense now" and I thought she was nuts - I was already at a 7+ on the p

TTC since 11/05...ectopic pg 4/08...early m/c 6/09...BFP 10/5/09!
    Nora B...June 15, 2010...8lbs, 8oz...Med-free birth!

TTC #2 since 7/11...cycle #3 of Clomid + IUI = BFP
    Malcolm...September 21, 2012...8lbs, 6oz...Another med-free birth!

• With my first son it did get much worse after my water broke but with my second my water broke before contractions even started.
  • My water broke w lo1 almost an hour before I had any contractions at all. But, my whole labor was about 5 hours?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Good question.

With both my kids, my water broke pretty shortly before they were born.

The memory of my second birth is more clear so I'll use that as the example. I felt pretty "good" and as if I was managing things fairly well up

"If you find a mate in life, you should be loyal. In your case, grateful."
    SAHM to two sweet girls, both born at home; Baby #3 in 2013!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • My water broke with Callum around 3 cm - I did notice things intensified quickly after that but could have just been where I was in labor too.  With Eleanor they didn't break until right as I was about to push - I honestly didn't find a difference

• With DS2 I didn't feel any contractions until a half hour or so after my water broke, but with DS1 my contractions went from a 3 or 4 before my water broke to a 7 or 8 after my water broke. It was noticeable.

• Not at all the case for me. My contractions intensified around 8 cm. Just one long contraction.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"