One & Done: Only child
Options

"We had another so s/he had someone to play with"

Title for Mobile Bumpies: "We had another so s/he had someone to play with" 

Does that excuse bother anyone else?  I would feel like crap about myself if my parents brought me into this world to serve as a playmate.  Since I've had LO, I've heard this at least 10 times...."who will he play with?"

So annoying.  That's all. 

Re: "We had another so s/he had someone to play with"

• Options
    Yup, annoys me.  People seem to fail to realize siblings aren't always close.  I'm close to my brothers now that we're grown, but we actually never really played with each other when we were smaller. We were a bit far in age, so we had nothing i
    E+C
    (+ hers and his, ages 13 & 8)
    TTC
  • Options

If that's seriously THE reason to have another child, it's a stupid reason.  If it's one of a list of reasons - the most important reason being "we simply WANT 2 kids" - eh, whatever.

But yeah.... it's dumb.  There is NO guarentee that

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Agreed.

Go to the park, a kid gym, school, etc and have your kid make a friend.  There are plenty of other playmates out there that can go home to their own parents at the end of the day!

• Options

Yes, it's so annoying! So assumptive.

Sure, plenty of siblings grow up to be friends, but LOTS of people grow up to be doctors too. I wouldn't have another kid just because I want a doctor in the family. 

Like PP said, if i

C is 3 years old

• Options
    It doesn't annoy me because that is what held me back for a long time on deciding for sure if I was done. Not so much for her to have a playmate, but someone to lean on through hard times. My parents have had a lot of health issues and I have always been
  • Options

imageHav=Fath:
    Coming from a mom that desperately wants another child, it doesn't bother me at all, they're not creating a human ju
    ~Benjamin Franklin

• Options

We have a family member who insists this is why we must have a second. This reason and only this reason. It's child abuse to not give him a sibling, regardless of what we want for ourselves.

The best part is when she says "It's so gratifying to s

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagekristennd:

The best part is when she says "It's so gratifying to see my children getting along now!" Meaning that, in their mi

~Benjamin Franklin

• Options
    image2013mommy:

imageChapter7
    E+C
    (+ hers and his, ages 13 & 8)
    TTC
  • Options

Bothers me too but DS is 7 now and I've had a hysterectomy so people have stopped saying it to me, lol.

There are lots of reasons people choose to/not to expand their family and mine is none of anyone's damn business, ya know?

A

• Options
    imagekristennd:

We have a family member who insists this is why we must have a second. This reason and only this reason. It's ch

• Options
    It makes me feel like they are lazy parents lol! My friend babysat DD once and said "I forgot that with one you actually have to play with them. That's why we had 2 a year apart, so we wouldn't have to play with them". Um, okay? 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I've been hearing that too.  Other than for DD to have someone when she's older to help deal with aging parents, I don't think a "playmate" is a good enough reason.  I was the only girl inbetween 2 boys - I was tortured by my older brother an

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagepastalady:
    It makes me feel like they are lazy parents lol! My friend babysat DD once and said "I forgot that with one you act
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    imageM&MHaveMyHeart:

It annoys me too! 

That & "he looks like he wants another sister." Um, yeah, okay--a bright

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

imageHav=Fath:
    Coming from a mom that desperately wants another child, it doesn't bother me at all, they're not creating a human ju

• Options

I hear this all the time- and "I want them to be best friends, so I have to have 2u2!" which is even weirder to me. 

With that said, we are not OAD, however, we'll have quite a few years between sibs and I don't

• Options
    Yep. Because we all know people who don't play with their siblings as children, and aren't able to "lean on" their siblings as adults. Just dumb.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Erm... she'll play with kids at daycare, kids at school, at church, her cousins, me and her dad, kids she takes extra curricular classes with, kids she plays sports with...

and she'll probably also be just fine playing on her own. I had a siblin

image image Visit The Nest!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

MIL and SIL are aghast when I mention being probably OAD.  "You aren't going to give her a sibling?!?!?!", they ask with horror.

It is absolutely the WORST reason to have another child in my opinion.  Shouldn't you have more children (i

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"