Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Moms with stomach sleepers, a question

If your toddler is a stomach sleeper, do you have them use a pillow? DH sleeps on his stomach and doesn't use one. DD1 also sleeps on her stomach and I don't know whether to get her a pillow or not to bother with one. I'm a back/side sleeper, so I don't know what's the norm for stomach sleepers. It seems to me like using a pillow would be uncomfortable, but I'm hardly an expert, as I think stomach sleeping is uncomfortable in general.

And this is going to be a post and run, but I'll be back on tomorrow to see any responses! TIA!

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

Re: Moms with stomach sleepers, a question

• Ds does.  He didn't until he was 2 and doesn't always sleep in his stomach, but he uses one when he sleeps, no matter what position.  I sometimes sleep on my stomach, and I push my pillow away when I do.  It's just not comfortable for me.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My DS doesn't use a pillow when he sleeps on his stomach. I have one in his crib in case he wants to use it but he never does. 

DS1: 4/15/2011
    Dx: ASD, SPD and receptive and expressive speech delay at 21 months
    BFP #2: CP 5/2012
    DS2: 4/24/2013
    BFP #4: Miscarriage at 5 weeks 7/2014
    BFP #5: 8/8/2014 Due 4/20/2015 
    Its a healthy girl!!!!! 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Nel11Nel11 member

I'm a stomach sleeper, and I do use a (very flat feather) pillow.  It's probably not great for my back.  My DD is also a stomach sleeper, and I've never given her a pillow.  She only 13 months though. 

I would give him one to

• My son has been sleeping on his stomach since about 6 months when he could roll on his own. He doesn't use a pillow and usually throws his animals and blankets out of the bed so I haven't even tried. He seems comfortable enough without it I guess :) 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • We gave A a pillow when we switched him to a twin (20 months). He doesn't use it very often, though. We went with the really flat kid's pillow from IKEA.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yes, but only because she started showing interest in using a pillow and wanting one of her own for sleeping. 

I'm a stomach sleeper (when not pregnant) and I always use a pillow.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • He uses the pillow about half the time. The other half, he lays in a different direction or simply below the pillow. But almost always on his stomach regardless.
  • No, not yet. Maybe in a few more months.
  • Stomach sleepers aren't supposed to need pillows.  If they do use one, it should be very flat.  

Anniversary

• DS sleeps with nothing in his crib most of the time..... on occasion he will sleep with a book and his seahorse ( if he doesn't throw it out). I think we will wait on using a pillow until he turns two or he sleeps in a toddler bed, whichever comes first
  • Ok, thanks! I guess I'll just hold off on the pillow unless she signals she wants one. She was using a blanket as a pillow the other day, but since that's the first and only time she's done it, I figured it was more just an accident that that's how she fe

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• My DS curls up his blanket and then scrunches up so he is laying on top of his pillow across the short side of the crib.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • my DS is still in a crib so we don't use a pillow for safety reasons. At 15 months I'm not worried about suffocation, but I am worried about him using it to stand on and then climb out. That's also something I know he'll do without the pillow eventuall

\image  image

• imagedrewmatt12:
    My wife use a pillow. Brin a dad is hard in all this bit I hace a blog for parents who need more knowledge check i
  • She has pillows but she doesn't like to sleep with them. She likes to wallow on them in the floor. Our pedi says that regardless of sleeping position, pillows are not needed and can contribute to spinal misalignment. We are trying to keep from giving her

image image Visit The Nest!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"